obd2 motor into obd1 hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hatcher

i have a obd1 b16 in my hatchback right now. i can get a 99 gsr mtor for my car. will wiring be hard??? i need info on the wiring part. want to stay obd1. what will i have to do with the obd2 harness?? can i just use change the obd2 distrubuter and put my obd1 distrubuter on and just use the obd1 harness???

id just change the distributer most of the rest of tha harness is tha same just a few extra sensers on tha newer motor

what the computer cant see wont hurt it if not the obd1- obd2 adapter is only like $30 on ebay just gotta watch for it

no, just get the 99 gsr engine harness, it wil plug into your firewall harness. this way you can keep the obd2 injectors, dist, and alt.

I put a '00 ITR in a '95 civic DX coupe. All I really had to do is use my original DX wiring harness and splice on the injector plugs from obd 2 harness also you should be able to use a 93 integra alternator to give the obd1 plug with the mounting that will mount to the b series engine.also I spliced the obd2 distributor to the DX harness, Obd2 is a combined plug version of the obd1(2 plugs), pin placement is the same, just splice one pin at a time. I had to wire in my Knock sensor,VTEC pressure sensor and VTEC solenoid into my ECU, I don't know if you will.

Enjoy, JIM

the obdII engines a have a few differences than the obdI. for one, they have another o2 sensor. if that is not wired up, ur ecu will definately throw a code.. another hing is the knock sensor.. i think there is one more thing but i cant think of it. the whole harness situation is up to you.. its pretty much the same way.. if you can get ahold of the gsr harness id use that. if not, dont pay 600 for one. i paid 600 for my gsr one.. they rnt cheap. splicing the obdI harness will not be hard.. good luck

let me get this straight, if i use the obd2 harness then i can keep everything obd2 (distrubuter,ect..) on motor? plug that up to the shock tower where it is the obd1 interior harness and use obd1 ecu?? is that correct??

OR

FTPRACING, all i have to do is change distrubuter to obd1 and just plug up the obd1 harness?? no need for extra plugs?? have u done this before?

what is the best way and easiest way. thanks for the replies so far

would it make things more easier to get a itr manifold?

it would be easier to change the few things from the obdII motor over to obdI than it would to change everything else to obdII.. that way all the plugs match up and maybe just a few more wires ran..

We just did a 99 gsr swap in my buddy’s 92 hb si, a everything was a straight swap, just with out a o2 sensor, we put a jdm p30 and put on a skunk2 intake manifold to get rid of the crappy secondary butterflies and the snail ITM, 8 pound flywheel Competition Clutch Ice Man CAI, ran a 14.6 96mph with a broken valve cover seal spraying oil and afterwards finding out the timing was retarded, but anyways…. Just get an obd1 ecu….p72.

and one more thing, you can use the p30ecu that your using for your b16, p30 are better computers anyways. but just get a different intake manifold.

would it be a good idea to put a b16 manifold in and get rid of the gsr manifold?? any lost in power with that?? would the get rid of the iab?? i will be using a usdm p30 or p28

Originally posted by hatcher@Oct 29 2003, 12:56 AM
would it be a good idea to put a b16 manifold in and get rid of the gsr manifold?? any lost in power with that?? would the get rid of the iab?? i will be using a usdm p30 or p28

b16 mani does not bolt up to gsr head

The Skunk2 is great, its just like the type R mani, the runnners are striaght and no secondaries, i would use a jdm p30, more memory for down the line reprograming, the p28 have very little, so they have to make room for all that data, so thay make you air fuel ratio choppy. its not smooth curve. also the p30 is for a high compression motor and with a gser you stay in vtec after you shift in to second.

memory? you fuck.

christ. use the p72. the p30ss maps are WRONG for a gsr motor. end of story.

gser, kindly unfuck your misinformative self, or leave. Thank you.

If you use a Skunk2 manifold, OBD1 P30 is the way to go, just richen up the fuel a little with an adjsutable fuel pressure regulator to account for the extra .2 displacement of the 1.8L over the B16a. You basically have a "poor man's ITR" at this point.

If you stick with the GSR "snail" dual runner intake manifold with butterfly secondaries, then get an OBD1 P72. This ECU will open the butterflies, and adjsut fuel accordingly with the extra airflow.

ECU's in Honda's are 99% IDENTICAL besides pin outs, and the program on the chip. If you compare a 99 GSR ECU to a 99 Civic DX, they LOOK identical, PROCESS identical, but have different sensor expectations and signal outputs.

Let me know if you guys need any more info on the subject.

let me know if i am wrong. gsr motor is obd2. i will be able to keep eveeything on the motor obd2(distru,alt, starter, ect..) and will be able to use an obd1 interior harness with obd1 ecu??? im really confused!

whats the best and easiest way to get this swap in my car?? i have obd1 b16 in right now.

If you have a Si hatch everything goes in, if not you just have to wire vtec. but like i said you should use an obd1 p72, to run the secondaries. but if you use a p30 you have to get a new ITM.

*************I’m sorry when I said "also the p30 is for a high compression motor and with a gser you stay in vtec after you shift in to second." that’s not true about when you shift into second you still in vtec, the reason why I said that is because we have a b16 tranny on the gser and the gears ratio is shorter and WE stay in vtec. Sorry about that. And <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>PISSEDOFFSOL</span> you don’t have to be such an ASSHOLE, I would gladly leave if I have to put up with fuckers that have to always try to prove themselves right.*****************

Back