OBD2 smog

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

qtmac_mien

on OBD2 cars do they use the scantool to smog the car instead of actually runnin the car?? i havent smogged my car ever since i had it and i need to in a few months and i wanna noe bcuzz i have a OBD1 motor and OBD1 ecu.

you might not pass if they know what to look for. if they put the probe in the tail pipe that is a different story make sure you have a cat and a street legal exhaust set up and you should be fine, but from what my boy says he is a machanic and when he plugged in the scanner it read like normal so he said it might not even pick up that it is an obd1 set up so you never know.

ya imma get a emissions legal cat like Catco and go wit a stock exhaust system bcuzz i wanna keep it a sleeper..but if i get the emissions legal cat do i need to plug in the other o2 sensor?

All 1996 and newer vehicles are checked by the OBD2 scan tool. At least in cold azz Ohio. My car failed because I was running an OBD1 engine and ECU in a 98 chassis.

I can tell you for a fact that if you have an OBD1 ECU in the car and they plug in.. it will read as an ERROR. They might realize that you have an OBD1 ECU, but it will come up with an ERROR.

I did get around it.. but it cost me a few hundred bucks. I gave them reciepts for a new IAC valve, New Cataletic converter.. and some stupid sensor just to bump the price over $300. I dont' recommend doing this.. it will put a mark on the history of the vehicle, and you only get one gimme..

you see i wouldn't know because i live where they only do a visual emissions check so i don't know what to tell you

Back