obd2b b16 in 96 civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EP3Hatch1987

Meeeeooowww!!!!!
okay my buddy juss got a b16 and it was in a ef b4 and the engine harness was converted 2 obd1.. no would it juss plug into his 96 obd2a no problem or is there some other wiring needed?

you say obd2b b16 in the thread title so was the engine originally from the 99-00 civic si? if so, the connections for evap, ckf, etc should be there. all you'll need to do is convert your plugs to accept the obd1 injectors and dizzy, or switch them out for obd2 units. if your buddies car is an ex then he's good to go, save for knock wiring. if the car did not have a vtec engine to start then he'll have to run wires for the vtec solenoid and vtec pressure switch.

you say obd2b b16 in the thread title so was the engine originally from the 99-00 civic si? if so, the connections for evap, ckf, etc should be there. all you'll need to do is convert your plugs to accept the obd1 injectors and dizzy, or switch them out for obd2 units. if your buddies car is an ex then he's good to go, save for knock wiring. if the car did not have a vtec engine to start then he'll have to run wires for the vtec solenoid and vtec pressure switch.

yess its from a 99-00 si.. but if we have the harness for the motor converted 2 obd1 already would it juss plug up at the shock towers? and yess its an ex

are you trying to use an obd1 harness? i'm confused. 96 civic's dont use 2 part harness that seperate at the shock tower. they run from the engines sensors all the way into the car and into the ecu.

Why is that? Would we be better off using his stock harness?

The '96 is a ONE PIECE all the way from motor sensors to the ECU. You CANNOT use it...well....I shoudln't say CANNOT but it is very hard and you would have to soder for a few days. Its a waste of time. If you have the OBD2 engine harness.....use it for sure. You will need to extend or run a few lines (like VTEC) but its much eaiser then your plan.

Okay.. The stock harness for the car is already equipped with vtec.. So those wires are already there.. So should the stock harness juss be plug and play? Or is there other wiring needed

I think its plug-n-play except you may need to extend the VTEC lines a little. Not sure though....but I had to do it with my D16Z6 harness in my OBD1 Civic. But it should all be fine otherwise. All the plugs are there for sure.....just a matter of them reaching their location

Okay cool.. But how would we do it 4 tuning.. Cause you can't chip a obd2 ecu.. Doesn't it have 2 be obd1.. Correct me if I'm wrong

Okay.. Sounds good.. I'll let you guys know if I have anymore questions..

okay ran into some issues.. motor is in.. but theres some sensors that dont have anywhere 2 go.. like one on the tranny and a few 2 the motor and IM.. but since the motor was converted 2 obd1 b4 it has obd1 dizzy alternator and injectors.. he fixed the dizzy one(ghetto rig) car starts but doesnt go past 3k.. any help

sounds like the wires swapped at the distributor are not correct.

this is the diagram i made after swapping my obd2 engine harness distributor plugs to obd1 style plugs and it worked perfectly.

obd2toobd1dist.jpg

off the top of my head the sensors on the engine that you won't need any longer are the evap sensor located on top of the intake manifold and the crankshaft fluctuation (ckf) sensor located on the oil pump near the crank pulley.

good diagram.. but is the dizzy is whats causing the 3k rev limit? and what he did wrong is juss cut the wires on the dizzy which i dont think he should of done.. i was telling him he should have juss got the dizzy jumper..

it's very likely that the distributor is what's causing the limp mode low rpm rev limiter

and yea the dizzy adapter harnesses do make things a lot easier.

figured it out guys.. swapped ecu for a p28 and worked fine..

I'm gathering the parts for the exact same swap in my 96 EX and i was wondering if anyone out there knows what the length of the axles needed for this swap is? i have the axles from a 91 civic b series swap and am wondering if these will work? also if i can swap over the dizzy, injectors and such from my current d16y8 as the motor came out of the same 91 civic? sorry if i'm jacking this thread. -CD

Back