OBDII 97 EK swap to B18B1 non-vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

He should be ok for the front, but I think si's were the only model with it in the rear

I have a lot of irons in the fire right now. Hope to get the new flywheel/clutch installed this weekend and get the B18b motor buttoned back up.

I'm researching new front brakes for the EK. I don't have $$$/time to upgrade to a different brake system so I'm looking for the best rotor/pad combination to get the most stopping power. I'm not racing this car, but I will be towing a Thule 4x7 trailer for camping trips and hopefully a teardrop camping trailer in the future. Are there any suggestions on a front brake rotor/pad combo? Reliability is key.

Thanks!

Hope someone can answer this one for me.......The B18b engine going into the 97 CIVIC DX hatch......which fuel line should I be using? Will the stock DX filter to fuel rail fuel line work or do I need to get one from a Civic with a B series setup?

Thanks!

ok...thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. LS fuel filter to fuel rail hose it is!

Update: I pulled the tranny from the B18b last weekend. Replaced the rear main seal, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. I decided to replace the transmission axle seals before bolting the tranny up to the engine. I ordered parts from www.acuraautomotiveparts.org and am waiting for them to come in. I did get my radiator and heater hoses from www.hondaautomotiveparts.com and the Del Sol VTEC hoses look like they'll work fine. I'm heading over to Atwater, OH on 16 May with my 97 Honda Civic DX hatch towing my Thule 1700, 4x7 trailer with cover and side extensions. I'll have the updated B18b, 5 speed tranny and all parts strapped down in the trailer. I have a swap guru in OH meeting me at my brother's house on the morning of 17 May and with all prep work completed, I'm hoping to drive the car out of my brother's garage on Sun evening with the new B18b installed. I'll spend the rest of the week tying up loose ends and installing a new suspension, exhaust, etc.... Sorry I didn't get a chance to post any pics last weekend, I've been down a lot due to spring allergies...fun is. I'll try to get some posted this weekend.

Has anyone done this swap and kept the P7H ECU? The P7H is the JDM version of the American P75 ECU. I'm planning on using the P7H and was wondering if there will be any downfalls. Thanks for your help!

the only problem i see with using a JDM ECU would be the difference in emissions control when it comes that time of year.

the only problem i see with using a JDM ECU would be the difference in emissions control when it comes that time of year.

I thought about that. I called a local emissions station and was told that all was well if there was no CEL and the actual emissions measurement passed. This could be a big stumbling block as converting to a P75 ECU would mean adding some sensors. My emissions are good well into next year, so I'll dive into that at a later date if needed. Thanks for your input!

Update: This weekend went well. Between studying for college finals and family time I was still able to get the clutch/tranny back on the B18b, have the JDM alternator checked at NAPA....it's good, and adjust the valves.....004 nominal for intake and .007 nominal for exhaust. I'm going to try to post some more pics. I need to get a plug for the cat O2 sensor boss as it is not required with the JDM B18b ECU(P7H). I plan to reinstall the valve cover with new gaskets and then do a compression check. I'll have a very good start on the swap with all the engine work completed. Let me know if you have any input or questions.

Thanks!

Attachments

• clutch1.jpg
    clutch1.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 4,257
  • tranny1.jpg
    tranny1.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 1,328
  • halfshaft seal1.jpg
    halfshaft seal1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,545
  • axle seal1.jpg
    axle seal1.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,340
  • tranny backon1.jpg
    tranny backon1.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 1,332
  • ready togo2.jpg
    ready togo2.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 1,243
  • ready togo1.jpg
    ready togo1.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 1,322
  • D16Y7 ECU.jpg
    D16Y7 ECU.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 1,490
  • JDM B18b1 ECU.jpg
    JDM B18b1 ECU.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,528
  • tranny backon2.jpg
    tranny backon2.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 2,369
  • B18 cat1.jpg
    B18 cat1.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,291
  • cat boss1.jpg
    cat boss1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,177
  • felpro cam seals1.jpg
    felpro cam seals1.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 2,991
  • valve adjust1.jpg
    valve adjust1.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 4,163
  • AC bolton1.jpg
    AC bolton1.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 2,424
Last edited:
UPDATE: I found a supplier for the cat O2 sensor plug. Metric Oil Drain Plugs I ordered the M18x1.5 drain plug along with an 18mm copper washer. I'm hoping this solution will seal the cat O2 boss with no leaking.
2506.jpg

One last part I need is the AC mount that will allow my D16Y7 AC compressor to be used on the JDM B18B. Does anyone have one at a good price? I believe it has to be from a 97/98 CRV or 9x DelSol VTEC. I have a Bseries AC bracket that came from a 99/00 Civic Si that I can trade if anyone is interested. I received it with a set of Civic Si motor mounts that I purchased. The Si AC bracket does have one bolt snapped off in it.

Someone asked me if I was going to give the Civic DX a new badge when the B18b was installed. I never really thought about it before, but maybe something like "1.8i" on the hatch and on the rear of each front fender? Or maybe a "JDM 1.8i"? Someone mentioned I should pick an animal or picture like a 4"x4" dragon with "1.8i" under it. I also had someone tell me that would be a good way to get the Civic stolen and I shouldn't put anythng on it at all. I've seen some great decal work from www.edecals.com . Give me some opinions on the badge idea.
Thanks!

Last edited:
ok....the 94/95 Del Sol VTEC A/C compressor bracket PN is 38930-P54-000 which I found in another thread after searching. I also found the 97-01 CRV A/C bracket PN 38930-P7J-000. Has anyone used the CRV A/C bracket in a B18b swap to EK before? The CRV A/C bracket is almost half the cost of the Del Sol VTEC A/C bracket. I just want to get confirmation that the P7J bracket has been used by someone and that it works with the D16 A/C compressor bolt to a B18b. I need to get an A/C bracket ordered quickly so please respond if you have any info on the P7J being used in an EK B18b swap. Thanks!

The original A/C bracket I have from the JDM B18b is stamped with P7H. Anyone out there have a P7J or P54 A/C bracket for sale or trade?

The above M18-1.5 drain plug I ordered was from a Canadian company and I should get the plug in 21 days??? Great....so I just ordered a zinc coated o2 sensor plug from: http://stores.channeladvisor.com/verociousmotorsports/items/item.aspx?itemid=4265534 I need the part before I head out to Ohio on 16 May for the B18b swap. I'm finding if I am doggedly persistant I will find and verify most anything on this here internet.

Last edited:
I have a question I was hoping someone could answer. I have a JDM B18b with an A/C bracket P7H. I need to order a CRV A/C bracket P7J (I don't have PS). Can you tell me if the tension pulley and associated A/C belt adjustment hardware from the P7H bracket can be used on the P7J bracket? It could save me some money if it does.

If there is anyone that has experience please respond. Thanks

Ordered the P7J bracket and hoping the P7H tension pulley fits ok. Ordered a 24" O2 extension cable from www.rywire.com today. Should be to the house by Wed of next week. Ordered some decals in silver metallic from www.edecals.com.
This is actually 4"x4" and should go pretty good with the car. I wanted something that looked factory and I think this does.

Attachments

• 1.8i DOHC decal.jpg
    1.8i DOHC decal.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 787
Last edited:
The pics look good, and the build looks like its coming along. I can't answer your ac bracket question; but as to the decal, if it were me, I would just leave the decals stock. I have the dx sticker still on my car even though I'm running a supercharged gsr motor. It makes your car seem more unsuspecting, and less appealing for thieves.

yeah....I see your point. I could have ordered the DOHC in bright red...lol. That would have attracted some attention. I figure the BBS rims already draw attention....not sure if I'll put the decal on or not.

I just ordered two VDO 52mm gauges for the instrument panel gauge bezel. I ordered the vision series I think it is. One 8000rpm tach and one analog clock. They look they'll be a nice compliment to the original gauges. Black face and bezel with white numbering and incandescent illumination. Today is my last day to order parts that I'm taking to Ohio for the swap. All parts have to be in hand by Thursday.

I have been taking pics but nothing specific. I'm doing the actual swap on 17/18 May. I'm doing all the prep work now so everything will go smoothly and successfully.......famous last words! I'll be sure to keep a collection of pics for the whole process. I'm in the middle of changing the timing belt, water pump and tension pulley on the JDM B18b. Next is putting in a new clutch. I've heard some bad stuff about ordering parts off of ebay. My timing belt is made by CONTITECH and my waterpump/tension pulley are made by GMB. My clutch kit is a stage 1 XTR clutch from Gripforce. Does anyone have any experience with these brands? Should I look at using different brands? I'll be running a stock JDM B18b and LS tranny. Thanks!
yeah i have the stage 2 xtr and it is straight nasty when it comes to grippin gears so i doubt you will have any problem with the stage

yeah i have the stage 2 xtr and it is straight nasty when it comes to grippin gears so i doubt you will have any problem with the stage

Thanks, I've noticed that most of the clutch issues seem to be coming from those racing the cars. I'm not going to be racing, just towing 1000 - 1500 lbs max.

Update: I reinstalled the valve cover today and started getting the B18b ready for tie down in the trailer. Fed Ex showed up with my P7J CRV A/C bracket and it looks a lot like the P7H A/C bracket that came with the JDM B18b. I pulled the A/C compressor on the EK and bolted it to the new P7J bracket and all went well. I also replaced the two front license plate nut plates that are so notorious for stripping, breaking, etc..... I'll try to post some final pre trip pics before I leave Fri morning.

Update: Leaving for Ohio tomorrow morning early! No turning back now. I just hope that I caught all the little issues that could have been showstoppers. See pics for my packed trailer and civic. I'll try to post an update on Sat night.

Attachments

• pkd trlr1.jpg
    pkd trlr1.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,137
  • pkd trlr2.jpg
    pkd trlr2.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1,200
  • pkd trlr3.jpg
    pkd trlr3.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 1,085
Back