1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

odd behavior

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by Periculum, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Periculum

Periculum Senior Member

I thought this was a little wierd a few days ago when I was driving my CRX. The car acts like it idle speed is jumping up and down without it actually changing idle. The exhaust is coming out in spurts instead of a more steady stream and the engine sounds like its dying down everytime it rotates. Almost like a cylinder isnt firing, but not quite that bad. I dont notice any severe misfires while im driving. Any ideas?

2. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

possibly missing on a cylinder

tune up

3. Periculum

Periculum Senior Member

Ive been carefully watching the whole spark plug and wires since I changed them only a few months ago. But I just got a check engine light a few days ago and it shows the EGR system needs checked and so does the throttle angle sensor. so that makes a lot more sense

4. spydy43

spydy43 Senior Member

This same thing happened on my accord. Check to make sure you dont have a dead cylinder by pulling the spark plugs one at a time while the car is running. If the car stumbles when you pull the plug that means that cylinder is running, if you pull a plug and your car does nothing its more than likely dead. I had one clylinder dead due to a stuck injector, tapped on the injector a few times and it started working again.

5. Periculum

Periculum Senior Member

I took off the EGR valve to clean it since I think its one of the many parts that hasnt been touched since the car was bought (170k) and not to my surprise the entire EGR system was caked in deposits. I couldnt see an inlet or outlet in the manifold and there was barely enough room for anything to get through the valve, and the valve was stuck, until I cleaned it out. Im sure this has affected the performance of my car by a lot.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted