Odd noises help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fbizzay

Ok fellas, here's a good one for you, if you can solve the problem you'll be super heros. So I just bought a 98 civic LX. I've had it for 3 weeks, since then it's gotten very cold, I live in Idaho and I bought the car in Utah. Anyways, I mean like 15-20 degrees at night, and maybe a high of 45 furring the day. So since it's gotten cold my car has made some weird noises. When i start the car up in the mourning it takes almost 3x as long to start, I guess that's pretty normal for the cold, after it warms up it starts like normal. However, the noise, when it's cold it sounds like I terned on a grinding wheel. I think it's comming from the pully/belt area. Also I was just out there and I reved up the engin for a few seconds and the grinding wheel sound left and I heard a high pitced squeeling sounds. That's the first I heard of it. So i reved it up quickly again and it got quieter, and I reved it up quickly again and it went away. I'm really hoping for suggestions, like I said, I just bought it, and I'm a college student, so there's not a whole lot of money avaliable to take it to a shop and pay them to figure it out. Thanks

That was my first thought, that it was the belts. They do look a little old, but the sound has stopped in the last few days. weird huh. Anyways, I'll probably change them before i go home to California.

Back