1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd noises

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by fbizzay, Nov 2, 2006.

1. fbizzay

fbizzay New Member

Ok fellas, here's a good one for you, if you can solve the problem you'll be super heros. So I just bought a 98 civic LX. I've had it for 3 weeks, since then it's gotten very cold, I live in Idaho and I bought the car in Utah. Anyways, I mean like 15-20 degrees at night, and maybe a high of 45 furring the day. So since it's gotten cold my car has made some weird noises. When i start the car up in the mourning it takes almost 3x as long to start, I guess that's pretty normal for the cold, after it warms up it starts like normal. However, the noise, when it's cold it sounds like I terned on a grinding wheel. I think it's comming from the pully/belt area. Also I was just out there and I reved up the engin for a few seconds and the grinding wheel sound left and I heard a high pitced squeeling sounds. That's the first I heard of it. So i reved it up quickly again and it got quieter, and I reved it up quickly again and it went away. I'm really hoping for suggestions, like I said, I just bought it, and I'm a college student, so there's not a whole lot of money avaliable to take it to a shop and pay them to figure it out. Thanks

2. kkid28

kkid28 He who burns the rubber.

It might just be your belts slipping. Although I'm not exactly sure what a grinder sounds like when it starts since I haven't heard one in like 8 months but I'm guessing that when you revved it they slipped faster and warmed up a little (aka friction or vulcanization) so they gripped. Shouldn't really be a problem but if it gets warmer and the problem persists try changing your belts and see if that helps.

3. D See 2

D See 2 Senior Member

Belts slip because they're too loose or because there's a drag on them. The grinding you heard was either the PS pump, A/C compressor, or the alternator. Pull the belts off and spin each of those pullies by hand to listen/feel for binding/noises.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted