odd situation...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
i was crusing this afternoon.. 4th gear, vac->1 psi or so.... all of a sudden my CEL came on, so i let off and got ready to pull over. engine made no verbal or feelings of somethign wrong. When i clutched in, it went off.. so i just kept going. it didn't do it again for the rest of my 15 min drive back to my house.

any ideas if A) its still in the ecu to pull it (if the code cleared itself, will it be pull-able?)
or B) what it might be?

don't say the map sensor, cuz i have a 3-bar.
don't say a bad check valve cuz i have hondata/boost that can read up to 27 psi. im sure it can handel 1.

since it didn't make any sputtering, backfiring or hesitation at all, im guessing its not related to fuel or spark delivery...

other than that, i don't know where to even look.

If it cleared itself, you prob can't pull it. Wait until it comes back, then jump the thing without shutting it off to get the code. Without the code, who knows....

yeah wait and see what happens. Maybe it was something stupid like a sensor got stuck open or closed threw the code then fixed it self pretty quick. I never got into a weird situation like that.

How long was the CEL on before it shut off? If the code corrected itself I don't think there should be a problem but if it comes back on again see if you can get a read on the code before it shuts off again. This actually is kinda baffling I've never had it throw a CEL and then correct itself...

Your fueling could be off and the O2 sensor might just be bitching at the ECU... happened to me when I was running too rich for a while.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 3 2004, 06:42 PM
it was on for about 5 seconds, and went away the second i clutched in and the revs dropped.
[post=372172]Quoted post[/post]​

I had symptoms like that with my old engine. Ended up it was the EGR valve would periodically fail to lift because of how dirty it was. That was the last shop work done on my car before it went bewm.

When you clutched it and the light went out did your idle dip real low for a moment? Mine would drop to a near-stalling rotation speed before kicking back up (most likely the results of running real rich from the EGR breaking loose).

no... like i said, other than the fact that th elight was verbally on, the car made zero notice/gave me no feedback as to a poblem was happening

happens to me w/ te2 when deceling sometimes, te runs a little lean on decel and it throws a cel, but turns off when i clutch it.

-joseph

What rpm were you at? No Laptop? Drive around datalogging if you can, and it will record the code so you can play it back and watch.

have a laptop, don't have datalogging

was at 3500 ish id say. 4th gear, 45mph? something like that

Judging by the fact that it corrected itself quickly, I'd say it's extremely likely that your engine is running way off of the correc A/F, and it's flipping out your o2. Even 2 psi on that turbo is quite a bit of air, I'd say there is a decent chance its leaning out.

If it were me, I wouldn't even be driving the car. I'd have it trailered to the dyno. Way too much money in there to be even possibly running it lean - since instant damage can occur.

ehh... 2 psi of boost isn't going to do shit... its different if it was constant, but its nearly impossible to drive up a hill or accelerate without getting into a little boost.... yes, even with a big turbo (insert STFU to people who run their mouths about lag here)

i understand your point, and if it wasn't running smooth, i wouldn't be driving it.

the base map i have is pretty good.. i can't complain. Kyle @ wired speed.com hooked it up good on the hondta system :)

well besides the lean thing, I'm still with Cal on the o2 sensor. Just get the fackin thing tuned and you won't have to worry about this kind of shit. lol.

try pulling the code, i had a cel earlier today and it went away when i turned the cr off but i was still able to pull the code. just short your jumper connector thing and see if you get a code to pop up. you may get a few other old codes if you havent reset the ecu for a while and you had codes before. but the last code should be the most recent, i think. it was in my case.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Aug 4 2004, 06:36 PM
try pulling the code, i had a cel earlier today and it went away when i turned the cr off but i was still able to pull the code. just short your jumper connector thing and see if you get a code to pop up. you may get a few other old codes if you havent reset the ecu for a while and you had codes before. but the last code should be the most recent, i think. it was in my case.
[post=372649]Quoted post[/post]​

well since b's ECU fues kept on blowing, I doubt he has others. You should be able to get the code. Mine did something similar, and when I turned the car off, it went off. Ended up being just a loose connection.

Jump it, it has the code stored.

my vote goes for O2
O2 is a transient code and is known to go away if you look at the car funny.

Is the problem consistent? (i.e. can you reproduce it given similar driving and load conditions?) If not, I wouldn't think twice about it.

Back