1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odometer adjustment

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by 5genracer, Jun 24, 2004.

1. 5genracer

5genracer Senior Member

I am looking at buying a Si or Ex cluster for my 98 hatch. I have 51K miles on the car, but the cluster I am looking at has less. Can I buy a cluster with fewer miles on it than my car, and turn the odometer up to read the correct mileage? Or, can I turn the mileage back, so that it reads the correct mileage for my car? It sounds bad, I know, but I can't think of anything else to do. NOTE: I do not have my original cluster anymore, but I have a pic of the correct mileage.

2. 5genracer

5genracer Senior Member

Never mind, I just found a local guy who's mileage matches mine almost exactly!

3. YouKnowWhoIBee

YouKnowWhoIBee my avatar is better.

well thats fraud. You just take out your speedometer part and put it in the new cluster. I know in my 95 it is 3 screws and ur done.

4. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

if your concerned just swap out the mileage reading part of the odometer, like stated above.

5. 5genracer

5genracer Senior Member

Yeah, but the trouble is I don't have the original cluster for my car, however I do know the exact mileage on the car before I took out the cluster. I haven't driven the car since then. Also, the cluster I picked up has 43 more miles on it than the actual miles on my car, so I think that it will be OK. If there was less miles on it, I don't think that I would buy it.

I'm not trying to do anything illegal here, just want a tach in my car.

6. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

it is leagal to change your cluster- provided you go to the dmv and document it, and get a sticker from them.

rolling back = fraud even if its not your cluster.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted