Odometer rollback.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

daveholiday

Do work
So, I got a CR-V gauge cluster today, orange faced, and for anyone who has seen the thread, when I swapped gauges before, I swapped speedos to keep my odo mileage accurate. At this time, I won't swap speedos since I bought the orange faced one for a reason. I've looked, and found one thread on H-T that used to be a writeup, but then went back and deleted the pictures. So I've got words, every other thread I've come across had everything deleted. I understand why they would do this, you've got to keep the mileage accurate with the vehicle yada yada I get that so in these sort of instances, wouldn't be just as illegal to replace a cluster and not roll it back/forward to what the current mileage is?

I found this, which is why I say that.
49 U.S.C. § 32704 : US Code - Section 32704: Service, repair, and replacement

49 U.S.C. § 32704 : US Code - Section 32704: Service, repair, and replacement
(a) Adjusting Mileage. - A person may service, repair, or replace an odometer of a motor vehicle if the mileage registered by the odometer remains the same as before the service, repair, or replacement. If the mileage cannot remain the same -
(1) the person shall adjust the odometer to read zero; and
(2) the owner of the vehicle or agent of the owner shall attach a written notice to the left door frame of the vehicle specifying the mileage before the service, repair, or replacement and the date of the service, repair, or replacement.
(b) Removing or Altering Notice. - A person may not, with intent to defraud, remove or alter a notice attached to a motor vehicle as required by this section.

Under (a), it says may "service" an odometer as long as the miles registered remains the same as before the service repair or replacement. Replace cluster, service odometer, right?

Anyway, I'm just looking to point me in the right direction, I assume there's a reason I can't find anything here.

In my experience, almost no one rolls forward/back to adjust for what the actual mileage is when they swap in a new cluster. I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for not adjusting it. It makes sense to me that you should be able to adjust it for the right mileage, but I doubt you'll find any write-ups simply because they could be used for fraud.

Here, to do it legally, you must obtain a sticker from the DMV stating orig mileage on both outgoing and incoming clusters. Otherwise, the title gets flagged with "True Mileage Unknown" which basiatclaly kills resale.

Your state may vary.

One reason almost no one bothers is that in the US when swapping clusters it is normally for one that reads kilometers versus mph, so rolling it forwards or backwards would be useless.

Here, to do it legally, you must obtain a sticker from the DMV stating orig mileage on both outgoing and incoming clusters. Otherwise, the title gets flagged with "True Mileage Unknown" which basiatclaly kills resale.

Your state may vary.

Here in Texas after a certain number of years they don't even bother with the odometer reading on titles anymore.

In my experience, almost no one rolls forward/back to adjust for what the actual mileage is when they swap in a new cluster. I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for not adjusting it. It makes sense to me that you should be able to adjust it for the right mileage, but I doubt you'll find any write-ups simply because they could be used for fraud.
I'm pretty positive that would be why all the DIY writeups I found have had the original post deleted, for the most part.

One reason almost no one bothers is that in the US when swapping clusters it is normally for one that reads kilometers versus mph, so rolling it forwards or backwards would be useless.
Yeah, but then you have me who just wants his nice orange CRV cluster to read my actual miles, since it is in miles :/

I understand that most people could care less about it, but I have a few obsessive compulsive tendencies, and being that my car is legitimately still 10K away from 100K, I just want it to be right. I guess I'll start screwing around on my own based on what I've read and see what I come up with.

Your state may vary.
Are you saying here, that if I were to obtain a sticker with the information, then I could legally roll back the odo? I mean, I have record of my mileage. If nothing else I just inspected it maybe 100 miles ago, and the miles racked up over the past year was almost identical increments as the year prior, since I drive pretty much the same path every day, give or take.

I replaced my cluster from a dx to a ex and used a tiny flathead to turn the numbers back. Cluster works and the mileage turns over no problem. Good luck

Are you saying here, that if I were to obtain a sticker with the information, then I could legally roll back the odo? I mean, I have record of my mileage. If nothing else I just inspected it maybe 100 miles ago, and the miles racked up over the past year was almost identical increments as the year prior, since I drive pretty much the same path every day, give or take.

no, you keep both clusters as-is. moving a cluster is not the legal way. You simply mark when the old one was removed, mileage, new one installed mileage, so that math can be made on the difference. When you go to sell, if dmv stuck, it is a legally lower (or higher) mileage vehicle than shown and it's documented as a replaced cluster.

any chance you can move the faces?

That would honestly be my most favorable bet, I think that would be the easiest and I believe the faces are spaced the same, but since I can't find any specific pictures to show exactly how to remove the needle, I'm a little intimidated, I've read they break easily

I used to run a crv cluster in my 97 civ, they look neat. On topic however if you do manage to get the needle off with out it breaking its most likely going to fly across the room so dont lose it. I wish I could be more helpful but I am afraid to say its easier to deal with the mileage being off than trying to dismantle the guages and risk breakage. Just write down the mileage of the cluster when you put it in and use your old one to reference back to and do the math to get your actual mileage. Good luck.

Its really not hard to roll back the mileage. Just get something small but strong enough that wont break. If you look at the mileage numbers there are little teeth on the right side. It takes two clicks for a number to fully line up.

This might be a dumb question, but if your just lookin to get the new cluster to read the correct mileage of the car then why bother with all the legal bull shit? Whos gunna know?

Here in Texas after a certain number of years they don't even bother with the odometer reading on titles anymore.

i rolled mine back when i put my rebuilt motor in to know exactly how many miles and such. my dmv already classified my odometer reading as exempt because of milige car had and year of vehicle. so if thats the case you can but i just took a sticker and posted original milage for emissions purposes. inside door area. just word of advice to anyone that tries be very careful. its easy to break the tabs for it.

This might be a dumb question, but if your just lookin to get the new cluster to read the correct mileage of the car then why bother with all the legal bull shit? Whos gunna know?

Honestly? Because I'm obsessive and want it to be correctly displayed ha

No, I get that part lol. But it sounds like your worried about legal issues. If your just gettin it to display the correct mileage, why worry about it being legal?

Back