OEM PR3 piston

Worth it or not / read before choosing pls

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If planing on using ju

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

formby

learning in progress
....ive been looking around for some info on piston coating.......i'm planing on changing my set up to run pr3s' on my lsv.(again)...i just wanted to know if it was worth it.....and who was the best company.....also should i worry about claying the motor......or should i wait untill i get my cams/valves then clay the engine.....

...i'm also planing on a little juice... maybe 50shot...would that be possible with 11.8:1 CR and the coating....i'll be runing 450cc dsm and a vtec controller and custom chipped ecu for the specific set up...... i think with proper tuning i'll be fine......

sorry about the poll for some reason its yesno instead of two choices ....sorry
EDIT: Fixed by pissedoffsol

Well, not sure on a specific brand of pistons for you, but ceramic coating your pistons is always a good idea. While you're in there you should look at installing a second set of oil-sqirters as well. Then run juice.

Just an idea for you.

no one in fl wants to do it.....i have to send to CA and if not done right it can cause engine falure.....not going to do it

Send them to Swain Technology- that's who did my coatings, and they have a very good reputation for being industry leaders in ceramic coats. They charge between $30-40 per piston, depending on what type of coatings you want.

Don't bother with the oil squirters if you're going with coatings- you won't need them.

Originally posted by Calesta@Mar 3 2005, 03:25 PM
Don't bother with the oil squirters if you're going with coatings- you won't need them.
[post=468841]Quoted post[/post]​

I know....it's just added security. My mechanic here in Toronto (Ken@IPC) uses a similar setup: B16A>Sleeved>Forged Rods>Ceramic coated\forged 13.5:1 pistons>Dual oil squirters.....he said it was pretty necessary for his build. Maybe not so on Formby's. :p

Originally posted by Calesta@Mar 3 2005, 02:22 PM
:shrug2:

I kept knocking my oil squirters off, so I just left them off.
[post=468861]Quoted post[/post]​

:doh: Let nature take its course.

Yeah. You do have to get block-off pieces once you take the oil squirters off though.

With that set up i think it's a great idea. Hell, always if you can afford it. I use Swain. They pioneered the process and have good products and prices.

It will allow you to run tighter piston to wall specs. It will keep the heat where it belongs. It will smooth out flame front propagation across the cylinder. It will prevent hot spots that lead to detonation. Big plus on the squeeze. I'm about to do a similar build and will be sending my pistons off even though the process costs me asmuch as the damn pistons. It's worth it though.

Back