OEM rods for my Ls/Vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Canuck 93 Civic Si

After scrounging for a while, ive gotten ahold of a B16A and a B18A. Now ive always heard Ls rods are the best oem rods you can get and would be the best to use in my Ls/Vtec. After looking at the rods side by side, it looks like both rods are the same size almost. The only exception is that the B16 rod bolts are longer and have more meterial holding the rod cap on. That and the LS rods say PR4 18 on them and the B16 rods say PR3 36 on them. Can someone please explain how the Ls rods are better for my setup? Thanks for the input.

Sean

For one, they're longer than the B16 rods. If you use the B16 rods in your LS/VTEC engine, you'll lower your compression by a LOT. The pistons won't go up as high in your bore because of the shorter rod, and you'll probably have compression around 8:1 or 7:1. Those are just rough guesses- you will definitely get a significantly lower compression ratio though.

If you want an aftermarket set of rods, I have a set of used Eagle H beam rods in very good shape. Let me know if you're interested.

https://hondaswap.com/~mike/sedan/2003-06-28_Eagle_Rods/

Heh ya, i just tosed the B16 rods and pistons in the B18 block with some assembly lube and wow. The piston doesnt even come near to the top of the block.

Thanks for your help
Sean

Sure thing. eBay those B16 rods to someone who thinks they need them. :)

Good luck! Let me know if you want the Eagle rods.

Originally posted by Canuck 93 Civic Si@Aug 23 2004, 08:48 PM
Now ive always heard Ls rods are the best oem rods you can get and would be the best to use in my Ls/Vtec.

Actually the LS rods, because of their design, put more stress on the rod bolts making them weaker than the B16/GSR rods.

Back