Official BEER Thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

magic hat number 9
1218403477_cdae6d2ff1.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1247/1218403477_cdae6d2ff1.jpg?v=0

Last edited:
I'm a Lager whore. And I go after beers that I can actually find and order.. What is the point of tracking down a great tasting beer that you can't get anywhere?

Shiner Black is probably my current favorite beer. Its a bohemian black lager, brewed old school, Imported hops, roasted malts (not kidding, you can really taste the roasted flavors).. Its thick and creamy and roasty and delicious.

shinerblack.jpg

Followed by Michelob Honey Lager. Just a simple lager with honey in it. You have to sip it slow and let it warm up a little.. then the flavor really comes out. Not quite room temperature, but close.
MicHnyLgr.jpg

Then Shiner Bock. Everyone around here has it on tap, and its a good beer. No gambles there.

Then Longboard Island Lager. Its on par with bock, and has its own flavor.. Good stuff.

If I'm eating mexican food, its corona extra w/ a slice of lime. I love shitty mexican beer with my greasy mexican food. Its perfect.

Last edited:
I love the Dogfish Head beers. I can only find the 60 min and the 90 minute IPAs here in CA. I've been looking everywhere to try the 120.

they only release them 2 times a year and they only sell them in single bottles..usually at about 8 bucks a bottle. My buddy and i chugged one out of a beer glass couple weeks ago....it took me about 3 times to kill it..i am in no way a beer chug kinda guy so its hard for me...but we got pretty fucked out up after drinking a couple 90's right after lol

in fact most of their beers are only released at certain times of the year.....the 60 and the 90 are all year round beers...mostly everything is a seasonal or special release.

Last edited:
Colorado has our fair share of micro brews.

http://www.averybrewing.com/
Avery Brewing - 14er ESB and Ellie's Nut Brown

New Belgium | Follow your folly!
Probably most well known New Belgium Brewery - I love 1554 and Sunshine Wheat

Ahhh.. I knew there were some beers I left out. Avery's White Rascal is up there for my favorite belgium whites. <3 And, gotta love Fat Tire as a go-to beer. I've tried every beer from New Belgium that I've been able to find and every single one has been worthy. :)

Then we've also got some restaurants that are pretty good breweries as well. Some of them are chains though:

CB&Potts
Hops
Rock Bottom Brewery

We have a bunch of Rock Bottom Breweries here in CA too. Their beers are okay... not the most memorable.

they only release them 2 times a year and they only sell them in single bottles..usually at about 8 bucks a bottle. My buddy and i chugged one out of a beer glass couple weeks ago....it took me about 3 times to kill it..i am in no way a beer chug kinda guy so its hard for me...but we got pretty fucked out up after drinking a couple 90's right after lol

in fact most of their beers are only released at certain times of the year.....the 60 and the 90 are all year round beers...mostly everything is a seasonal or special release.

Sounds like Russian River's Pliny the Younger. It's released once a year and sells out fast. If word gets out that they have it on draft at the brewery (Santa Rosa) I guess they get a line waiting outside the door. lol

I can't chug super hoppy beers... Give me a bud light and it'll be down like no body's business, but I like to enjoy the good stuff!

If you get a chance, since you enjoy hops.... Seek out Moylan's Hopsickle. It's a triple IPA. The brewer I spoke to guesses it's around 142 IBUs. :D

hopsickle.jpg

I'm not a huge beer fan but I like Sam Adams Black Lager, Winter Lager, Octoberfest, and maybe a couple others on occasion.
:ph34r:But "give me Jack or give me death!!!" (or comparable whiskey/rum) I'm totally ninj'n this thread!:ph34r:
JD-1.jpg

Now thats Class!!!

I don't drink much anymore; if anything I try to avoid it. I'm overweight according to asian standards(my "normal" weight is ~145lbs, I'm at 171lbs right now).

Pretty much my beer of choice is Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale. I haven't tried much different beers because I don't want to pay for something I won't like.

btw, just last week I was fucked up on Jack Daniels along with some other liquors. They found me passed out face first in the ground. lol.

As far as whiskey, I love jack daniels.. I always keep a bottle in the liquor cabinet. But I love crown royal more.. So much more that I never buy it because I keep drinking it until its gone, then I'm out of crown.. Its too expensive to keep a bottle around because they don't last long.. lol

I stopped drinking all together recently. I was drinking every night.. night after night, at least getting my buzz on. When I do that I'll skip a few days just make sure I'm not becoming an alcoholic or something. I tried and I couldn't skip a day. That happened twice so I just straight up cut myself off for a while.

Last edited:
Love those coronas and mgd. Only 1 a day. We have only wineries around here.

Ahhh.. I knew there were some beers I left out. Avery's White Rascal is up there for my favorite belgium whites. <3 And, gotta love Fat Tire as a go-to beer. I've tried every beer from New Belgium that I've been able to find and every single one has been worthy. :)

We have a bunch of Rock Bottom Breweries here in CA too. Their beers are okay... not the most memorable.

Sounds like Russian River's Pliny the Younger. It's released once a year and sells out fast. If word gets out that they have it on draft at the brewery (Santa Rosa) I guess they get a line waiting outside the door. lol

I can't chug super hoppy beers... Give me a bud light and it'll be down like no body's business, but I like to enjoy the good stuff!

If you get a chance, since you enjoy hops.... Seek out Moylan's Hopsickle. It's a triple IPA. The brewer I spoke to guesses it's around 142 IBUs. :D

hopsickle.jpg

Looks good...though the ABV is only 9.2% compared to Dogfish Heads 120 which is 20% lol

I don't drink much anymore; if anything I try to avoid it. I'm overweight according to asian standards(my "normal" weight is ~145lbs, I'm at 171lbs right now).

Pretty much my beer of choice is Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale. I haven't tried much different beers because I don't want to pay for something I won't like.

btw, just last week I was fucked up on Jack Daniels along with some other liquors. They found me passed out face first in the ground. lol.

That's the only problem with drinking... you have to have it in moderation and keep up a healthy lifestyle. I don't drink everyday. Just occasionally on a weekend or every once in a while with friends.

Have you tried Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout? Yummm! (PS, if you like browns... definitely try Lost Coast's Downtown Brown if you can - it will not disappoint!)

As far as whiskey, I love jack daniels.. I always keep a bottle in the liquor cabinet. But I love crown royal more.. So much more that I never buy it because I keep drinking it until its gone, then I'm out of crown.. Its too expensive to keep a bottle around because they don't last long.. lol

I stopped drinking all together recently. I was drinking every night.. night after night, at least getting my buzz on. When I do that I'll skip a few days just make sure I'm not becoming an alcoholic or something. I tried and I couldn't skip a day. That happened twice so I just straight up cut myself off for a while.

I'm really picky with my whiskeys since I'm a bartender. I guess it all depends on the drink... Mint Julep - Woodford Reserve or Knob Creek; mixed with coke - Jack, Crown, or Maker's Mark. I tend to not "sip" on whiskey as in my heart I'm a vodka girl. Give me some Grey Goose martinis and I'm set!

Looks good...though the ABV is only 9.2% compared to Dogfish Heads 120 which is 20% lol

hahah... true that. BUT it is available year round! Oh, and darn! It only comes in a 22oz bottle. :p

Beer's with high ABV > 14-15% are usually fermented with champagne yeast, so technically it does not fir the definition of beer. Beers with higher ABV's are usually barely wine.

Has anyone ever tried Stone Brewing Co.
Arrogant Bastard,
Stone IPA
Stone Ruination IPA
IBU's all > 77

Beer's with high ABV > 14-15% are usually fermented with champagne yeast, so technically it does not fir the definition of beer. Beers with higher ABV's are usually barely wine.

Has anyone ever tried Stone Brewing Co.
Arrogant Bastard,
Stone IPA
Stone Ruination IPA
IBU's all > 77

All the Stone beers are soooo good! I'm planning on going to their brewery sometime next month for a San Diego beer trip.

Plan to hit:
Stone
Karl Strauss
AleSmith
Coronado Brewing
Gordon Biersch
Green Flash (you all need to try their hop head red!!)
Port Brewing

I think there are some others, but I just can't think of them off the top of my head.

I like light beers on hot sunny days when I'm working in the yard on washing the car, you know like the silver bullet. Any other time I like stout beers like Guiness.

Coors Light is my fave.

ive been to a Budweiser brewery before
Ehh. I'm like my father in recent years. The only time I drink light beer is when I'm drinking with friends that drink it. And in that case, it's Bud Light. Out of the big three though my favorite is Coors Original.

Phryegod, you need to send me some Shiner Black Lager, haha. Shit looks good. I had Shiner Bock in NC and drank it for the rest of the week I thought it was so good.

I've never been to a brewery, but here is the best thing to come out of Phili period. Victory Brewing Co. :: Taste Victory
Everything they make that I've had is really good. Then again I've never really had a microbrew I didn't like. In fact listing my favorite beers would be easier just to list beers I don't like.

All the Stone beers are soooo good! I'm planning on going to their brewery sometime next month for a San Diego beer trip.

jealous I have yet to find a distributor on the east coast in Connecticut that has any brews from Stone Brew Co.

jealous I have yet to find a distributor on the east coast in Connecticut that has any brews from Stone Brew Co.

Oh man! A lot of the places I go to have Stone on tap...

If I can figure out the proper way to ship beer, I'd be more than willing to pick up some bottles and ship them to you. We could just do a paypal money transfer for the beer/shipping costs. lol

Speaking of shipping beer... I need to find someone who can ship some my way.

We've been trying to find Three Floyd's Dreadnaught IPA. The brewery is in Indianapolis.... Every IPA review always lists this one as one of the best and we so want to try it.

Back