*Official* Gym and Diet thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I love how you spelt ignorant wrong. Ironic.

I'm not ignorant. Unlike you, I actually know what Creatine does. It occurs naturally in the body and provides energy to the muscles. It does not directly build muscle. It allows you to work out longer and harder to gain the added effects, be it gains in muscle mass or increased cardio(burn fat) depending on the exercise you're engaged in.

Not to mention that muscle building and fat burning are completely separate actions. You don't have to lose fat to build muscle or vice versa. Look at NFL linemen and marathon runners. One is strong as hell with fat, the other is lean as hell and doesn't look "jacked". Cardio and muscle building are separate acts. You can choose to do them as much or as little as you want to reach the desired effect.

Supplements are just like cars or any subject matter. The more you read the more you know. I happen to know exactly what every supplement I take does for my workout. Otherwise I wouldn't put it in my body.

I'm not trying to start anything either. I'm just pointing out working out doesn't make you a trainer just as driving a car doesn't make you a mechanic. I've read a lot on the subject and talk with people who have degrees on the subject. I probably know more about this then about cars. Ask away. I'll identify what any supplement does.

I want to be the jacked guy. Still losing weight! I got some stuff t the house i want to bring up to your attewntion to see if it's gonna help me.

I bought it when i wanted to start runing and lifting more. gotta wait till i get out of work though

Diet is key for losing weight. There aren't any special tricks to it. If you have a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Exercise facilitates your bodies ability to retain lean muscle and burn fat and not lose both. At that, its very necessary to get the right amount of protein and necessary amino acids.

Taco your first goal to get your body fat to a reasonable level. IE 10-12%. At that you want to do this while improving strength but not putting on mass. Yeah You heard me. You're so new at building that as you repeat your workouts for your exercise you should improve on them while you lose weight. Finally the easiest way to lose fat is to have more lean muscle mass. That way when you are at rest you burn more calories. Never starve your body of nutrients. Just ration it.

I'm about to transition from a bulk cycle to a cut cycle.

I'm getting into road biking so it will be up to me to put in the lifting time to keep the mass I have attained. If I can be in the single digits at 175lbs I'll be very happy. If I must I'll go to 170 as long as the lbs lost don't have diminishing returns. Right now I have some love handles and a pouch in the front, but I still got the very large abs that I built while bulking, so this cut cycle it will be easier for me to get my ab muscles and obliques to really bulge as they are much larger than they have been in the past.

I want to be the jacked guy. Still losing weight! I got some stuff t the house i want to bring up to your attewntion to see if it's gonna help me.

I bought it when i wanted to start runing and lifting more. gotta wait till i get out of work though

what are you doing to lose weight?

ive been doing some reading around lately, and i think im going to make some more changes to my diet. i need more milk, more oats, just more calories in general i think. im also going to up my protein intake from 160g a day to 230-240g a day. im going to try and get a good amount of casein in me before bed every night. probably a big glass of milk, and a bowl of cottage cheese like i have been doing.

your stomach will feel like shit with that much protein. better add some laxatives.

The key is the balance of macro nutrients.

Fats
Carbs
Protein

For me right now I'm trying to cut. LOW FAT. HIGH ENERGY. I work on my feet 8 hours a day and I have long bike rides/car rides to work. I'm a go go go so I depend on energy.

It should be like 15% fats, 55% Carbs, 30 % proteins.

9 calories per gram of fat.
4 calories per gram of carbs.
4 calories per gram of protein.

You can't increase one and avoid the others. You need to balance them. Without carbohydrates you don't have energy. Protein is your muscle building block. And fat is your recovery.

Now at 230grams a day of protein that means you need...

920 calories from protein
1687 calories from carbohydrates
45X calories from fat.

That's literally my cut cycle. But like I said, I'm a bit larger than you and trying to lose weight. Look at your percentages and make adjustments to help you stay lean but put on weight above your BMR.

like i said i dont care about spelling but anywho. everybody is different and im not disagreeing with u about what creatine does im saying me and alot of other people i know and have worked out with including the record holder in nh for the highest bench press. Leo but anyways thats enough from me

like i said i dont care about spelling but anywho. everybody is different and im not disagreeing with u about what creatine does im saying me and alot of other people i know and have worked out with including the record holder in nh for the highest bench press. Leo but anyways thats enough from me

dude we moved on....lets get back on topic.

Matt: I could never lose weight by just ''cutting back and watching what i eat''

My manager and I decided to do the low carb diet for 2 weeks and see what results we could get. Me being the competitive type tried hard, I had chicken salads for lunch and meats with veggies for dinner. I lost 10lbs pretty quickly and have been wanting to start running again.

I think the reason this diet worked was becuase i had a buddy and because i saw a difference within the first week. Not to mention i didn't drastically change my lifestlye.

I'm shooting for 175-170 but want to do it with a work out too. I'm used to the old school baseball work outs. Running alot, push-up,situps and all the that cardio stuff.

Because i want to impress ma lady i've always to build muscle but never had a routine gameplan that fit for me. I would penchpress for 5 minutes and get bored. :(

I bought a muscle building mix but There's no point in taking supplements if my body isn't going to use them correctly.

as of now i'm still dieting with a little more carbs and trying to get myself to work out AFTER work

If you're really looking for a complete A-Z lifestyle(read: not diet and exercise), look into P90X.

-About an hour long workout 6 days a week
-A "diet" plan that results in you eating healthy, not dieting.
-Does an excellent burn while building muscle.

I actually think I'm going to try it out with my tax return money. Sick of going to the gym and waiting for a treadmill, bench, what have you.

If you're really looking for a complete A-Z lifestyle(read: not diet and exercise), look into P90X.

-About an hour long workout 6 days a week
-A "diet" plan that results in you eating healthy, not dieting.
-Does an excellent burn while building muscle.

I actually think I'm going to try it out with my tax return money. Sick of going to the gym and waiting for a treadmill, bench, what have you.

Good luck - I have it and it is way to much for the average joe and their motivation to continue with it. My wife has tried to follow it twice and the intensity killed her and she works out 6 days a week in some way shape or form.

you know what sad? I have the P90x and Mrs taco has been waiting for me to burn it off my ipod to a disc. :(

Good luck - I have it and it is way to much for the average joe and their motivation to continue with it. My wife has tried to follow it twice and the intensity killed her and she works out 6 days a week in some way shape or form.
I know it's ridiculous. That's what I'm looking for. Best shape of my life was when I was wrestling. 3 hours a day of pain. From that, I have the ability to just turn off my brain's negative thoughts and do it.

I feel ya.

When I graduated high school I was a string bean at 150lbs. But I was in SERIOUS SHAPE. Like fighting shape. I did wrestling workouts for 2-3 hours a day and HIIT at the end of every lift. It was nuts. I remember doing sets of 30 pull ups and shit because I could. Now I barely can manage 25 and roll over and die afterwards.

thread from the dead, but is anyone still with the workout plans described in here?

im still lifting, and after a reconstruction of my diet, I gained 6 lbs.
then we started a cut, and just came off of it. i lost the gut that i had been carrying around from the bulk, and im starting to see my abs finally.

back to bulking now.. shooting for 175 lbs, and im currently 168..

also, any tips from anyone on here on building the upper/middle chest? ive been doing a shit ton of floor press, incline bench and fly lately. ive read in a few places that those are exercises that target those regions, but id still like a second opinion.

Wow, kind of sad to see I haven't started my P90x yet. I plan to start Jan. 1. Right now I'm just doing loads of cardio and working on my core strength. Finally using my gym membership though.

Wow, kind of sad to see I haven't started my P90x yet. I plan to start Jan. 1. Right now I'm just doing loads of cardio and working on my core strength. Finally using my gym membership though.

dont' wait until day 1 to go balls in. you will quit by day 6.

do a couple sets of different reps, then be prepared to do the whole thing on day 1. if you do the whole setup on day one and your body isn't ready, you'll be sore as fuck and not workout for 5-8 days.

I'm not working right now so I'm doing a huge bulk.

At about 185lbs and hoping for 200lbs come january. I have really skinny legs from working on my feet at a very high pace so I'm hoping I can pack some muscle on them. My numbers are starting to climb again and I'm siked.

Supps I'm on

ON Hydrowhey
ON men's daily vitamin
ON After Max(post workout protein, creatine, etc.)
Superpump 250.

Clucosamine for the joins.

I've been pretty religious about taking the superpump and after max on workout days and taking regular creatine on off days(light cardio and core days). My squat should break 300 for rep weight soon and my dead lift is approach 4XX. We shall see.

I'm not working right now so I'm doing a huge bulk.

At about 185lbs and hoping for 200lbs come january. I have really skinny legs from working on my feet at a very high pace so I'm hoping I can pack some muscle on them. My numbers are starting to climb again and I'm siked.

Supps I'm on

ON Hydrowhey
ON men's daily vitamin
ON After Max(post workout protein, creatine, etc.)
Superpump 250.

Clucosamine for the joins.

I've been pretty religious about taking the superpump and after max on workout days and taking regular creatine on off days(light cardio and core days). My squat should break 300 for rep weight soon and my dead lift is approach 4XX. We shall see.

how are you liking the hydrowhey? i just bought my third or fourth 10lb bag of ON Whey, as well as a 2lb jug of casein for my shake before bed. heres what im taking:

White Flood
Green Magnitude
Multivitamin(cant remember the brand, it was cheap on A1supps)
ON Whey (~150g a day from this)
ON Casein (24g a day)

all this plus im eating a shit ton of tuna, pb, and cottage cheese till i cant take another spoonful.

THat's a ton of whey man. I get maybe 100 grams and I'm hitting 250 every day minimum. Remember carbs will help you put on the size, you can only digest so much protein.

Hydrowhey is great for waking up. It's a pure protein and it goes straight to your body. Most of the time for snacks I use regular ON gold standard, but hydro is good for a kick start in the rebuilding when you're on E in the morning or post workout.

I take it immediately in the morning, brush my teeth and wait an hour before I can eat(don't wanna negate effects of the listerine and such) then eat a balanced carb/protein/fiber heavy breakfast. Usually GO lean with cottage cheese or yogurt and berries.

dont' wait until day 1 to go balls in. you will quit by day 6.

do a couple sets of different reps, then be prepared to do the whole thing on day 1. if you do the whole setup on day one and your body isn't ready, you'll be sore as fuck and not workout for 5-8 days.
I realize this. That's why I'm upping my cardio and core strength now. But I also definitely want to try it out before I jump in too.

And right now I'm taking CLA, Amplified Creatine 189(pill form), Mega Men Sport, and glutamine. I'm only taking one shake of Wheybolic Extreme in the morning, but I'll be adding some casein to the mix soon enough.

Last edited:
I do 100 to 150 grams of whey protein a day depending on what I eat. If I eat enough I'll do 2 drinks if I can't get enough down I drink a 3rd drink. I'm also hitting the 3000-4000 calorie mark.

Everyone is worried about carbs/protein but I don't think anyones said anything about calories. whats up with that?

Back