Official Slushbox is getting back in shape thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Yea man thats crazy. people come in Golds and throw up 550 like nothing. Gorillas out there man im tellin ya. But for now im goin to bed got speed training tommorow (my 3rd period is football training lol)

peace

He's young.

I weigh in at a hell of a lot less than you guys and put up similar numbers. When I was at my peak, I could pretty much compete with everything he has there - with the exception being that my bench was a bit weaker, and I never got into heavy power cleaning.

Add a 400lb deadlift, when I was around 150lbs too.

People can do some seriously impressive things, but usually they take years to achieve. As soon as I took a break from being so serious, most of my weights dropped way off.

He's young.

I weigh in at a hell of a lot less than you guys and put up similar numbers. When I was at my peak, I could pretty much compete with everything he has there - with the exception being that my bench was a bit weaker, and I never got into heavy power cleaning.

Add a 400lb deadlift, when I was around 150lbs too.

People can do some seriously impressive things, but usually they take years to achieve. As soon as I took a break from being so serious, most of my weights dropped way off.

Word. Being serious is everything. If its a lifestyle you'll be fucking strong. Just like the guy I lift with. He isn't big by any means, just plain strong. doesn't eat unhealthy and lifts/runs on a regular basis, and became strong just from repetition. Hitting the gym 3-4 days a week is the hardest part.

On my 4th week going strong in this cycle.

I haven't done anything really athletic besides rugby in months. I put on a few pounds but I didn't think it was that big a deal. Well this weekend I was home from college and went to a friend's party. Somehow the conversation turned to "beer guts". Sidenote-My friends from home work full-time jobs and drink beer, that's it. Well as you all can already assume, I won the beer gut contest. Not to mention that my 34" pants are starting to get tight(I wear a 36" but I have a few pairs of 34"s). Big deal right? Well 2 and 1/2 years ago I was 195 with a 6 pack, benching 260 and squating 555. My family was questioning me if I was using steroids. Now I'm 205 with a quarter keg.

So I decided that I need to start getting my "beach" body back. Here is what I plan on doing...

-Low/zero carbs, high protein, high veggie diet. Mostly beef, chicken, fish, and veggies/salad.

-Running. Lots of it. I'm going to start with a mile 3-4 days a week until I get back to "running" shape. After I get there I want to run 2 miles 5-6 days a week and build my upper body again(my lower just needs the tone).

I guess I'm just looking for some feedback of what you guys think. Any input on anything I'm doing, etc...

slush take it from a guy that is still phisically fit at 27. i have tryed everything under the sun. all kinds of sets , reps, weight gainers, different foods, suggestions from professional body builders, and friends. you were in shape a while back and got lazy. it happens, your at college, party time. but the best thing you can do is go back to the way you worked out before. if it worked in the past it will work today.The only thing you need to do is get a food chart for your age group, so you know what you need for a daily intake. dont go over that and dont go under it... and for someone that is trying to lose weight never over do your work out, because you want to stay on a day to day rutien. never missing a day. good luck

you were in shape a while back and got lazy. it happens, your at college, party time. but the best thing you can do is go back to the way you worked out before. if it worked in the past it will work today.The only thing you need to do is get a food chart for your age group, so you know what you need for a daily intake. don't go over that and don't go under it... and for someone that is trying to lose weight never over do your work out, because you want to stay on a day to day routine. never missing a day. good luck
That's what I'm doing pretty much. I'm just adding a lot of running because I need the cardio for rugby. But like I said before, I'm not trying to lose weight. IDK if I gain weight or lose it, I just want to be in shape again.

i would love to be able to gain weight. i eat everything under the sun and still only gain about 6 pounds a year.

totalburnout, would the foods you listed be good for anybody to eat on a daily basis? I also need to lose some fat and figured if I could get the healthy eating part down, working out would be a lot easier to get back into.

Remember people, the scale means nothing. You could be 6' 265lbs and be in really great shape. Body fat% is the true measure of health.

totalburnout, would the foods you listed be good for anybody to eat on a daily basis? I also need to lose some fat and figured if I could get the healthy eating part down, working out would be a lot easier to get back into.

Remember people, the scale means nothing. You could be 6' 265lbs and be in really great shape. Body fat% is the true measure of health.

Yes, all those foods are healthy for everyone. High protein, healthy carbs, healthy fats.

Body fat percentage isn't the true measure of health, because there's been many documented cases of overweight triatheletes and such that in terms of systolic blood pressure, triglyceride count, cardiovascular endurance, etc., etc. are much healthier than the average person.

I think the key here is that just because someone is "skinny", it does not mean they're healthy. Some of my guy friends would be rails after eating fast food day after day, and people would think from appearance that they were healthy. Most of them have had metabolism catch up with them by now, and now are scrawny with guts, but even when they were skinny they weren't healthy.

Being healthy is a lifestyle and a state of mind.

I have not achieved anywhere near what I would like to have achieved in terms of physical appearance and strength are concerned. With that said, there's even far less committed guys than myself that look better than me, but that doesn't mean that they are any healthier.

Genetics determine so much, but everything else we as people must take responsibility for and accept.

Really its 90% diet, 8% sleep and rest, and 2% training.

I guess I just worded that wrong. What you said is what I was saying also, just trying to use less words.

I'm just really out of shape and I'm getting sick of it. Now, I'm like 6' 290lbs with about 35%bf(but don't look it at all). Wanting to get down to 220-230lbs and be at 12-15%bf. I know it will take a while to get to that point, but I just need to do it. Running for me now should be kept to like 30min. jogs, weights will be a lot easier for me.

Sorry for the thread jack. Please continue.

30 minutes a day is plenty of running for ya. I mean plenty.

I never ever run longer than 30 minutes unless I'm running mountains. But, eating is potentially the most effective thing you can do for your body. Tomorrow. Do yourself a favor. Kick start your day with a small meal. And have 4-5 more throughout the day.

The largest things you want to avoid eating are things like candy, pastries, pasta's, chips, etc. A costco muffin has 1000 calories. A bagel has 900. Way too much.

I know to stay away from simple carbs. Whole grain is the only way to go. I don't eat candy or anything like that hardly at all. My biggest problem is soda, which I'm trying to eliminate totally.

If you're going to drink soda. Make it diet.

I used to drink a lot. Like a case in two days. Switched to diet, lost 15 lbs in two months. Not even a sweat. My brother lost near 60 lbs going from regular(2 2liters a day) to diet in 3 months. I'm not kiddingyou. Only difference in his diet.

My old problem was beer. I haven't drank heavily in a few weeks, and I can already tell a difference. I found myself drinking an 18 pack a couple days a week atleast. It was killing me.

Beer is loaded with carbs. That's why I only drink liquor. That's stopping to though. Had a shitty night a couple weeks ago with jager. Drank like 8-10 medium sized coffee cups of jager and redbull like shots, blacked out, friends told me I drank like 5-6 beers after. Wound up puking on an empty stomach then passing out only to wake up in a chair at 5am with my wallet and glasses missing.

Very bad night.

That's crazy how you and your bro lost that much just by switching to diet. That's all you guys changed?

Take it from this drunk fucking kid.

Liquor, alcohol, etc. have worthless calories. They provide no nutrient they provide shit for you.

They also increase estrogen and decrease testerone along with fucking up your slepe schedule.

Last edited:
Weighed in last night at the gym. Worst than I thought.

Tipping the scales at 218. I did cardio on the bike though. Much better for my knees than running.

Weighed in last night at the gym. Worst than I thought.

Tipping the scales at 218. I did cardio on the bike though. Much better for my knees than running.

Swimming.

Rowing.

eliptical crosstrainer with arms.

Low impact, full body workout.

Cycling.

In that order from the best forms of cardio.

As many of you know I was sick as hell (still a little) for a good week, week and a half, so the gym was really my last concern. But I did keep with the diet, drank plenty of water, and the little drinking I did was not carb filled beer. But anyway, I'm starting up full force at the gym on Monday. Not going to have a beach body by spring break, but I'll probably be spending it at Mountain Creek anyway.

It may just be mental but I swear that ~2 weeks of not drinking beer and my beer belly already got smaller. It's probably in my head though.

Just wanted to bring this back with a small update. I've been home from school for about two weeks and I've been running 30 minutes almost every day except when I have a double at work or other things that prevent me from getting the time. Sometime this week I'll drive the streets I run and figure out the actual distance but I believe it is between 2 and 2 and a half miles.

I'm already down to 209lbs. and I'm actually feeling much better and I have more energy. I also have begun taking Hydroxycut Hardcore after a few friends had great results. But I'll see for myself.

I'm planning on beginning some crude muscle workouts (push-ups, sit-ups, etc.) every morning until I can hang my heavy bag back up and put my weight stuff back together in my garage. I'm not really into going to a real gym simply because there is not a decent one within 20 minutes of me and I'm trying to save some cash as well.

As for diet, I just picked up some cookbooks on Asian, mostly Japanese, cuisine and I'm figuring that will be much heathlier than the mostly Italian style food that is made in my house. I also have had a huge urge to make sushi lately so I'll break out the nori and bamboo mat after I go to the Asian Market tomm or the next day.

damn nine pounds since hte last. good job.
Eh, I don't care about the weight. I wrestled in hs. I could drop 10 pounds in one day if i needed to. I just want my six pack back, get in good cardio shape, and start training more heavily in MMA.

Back