Official State of the Union Thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Celerity

Wow. Tonight's speech was more important than you'll know. If you have questions, feel free to ask me for some semblance of an explanation.

-> Steve

I was cool with just about everything except his stance on stem cell research and gay marriage.

I am glad that he is finally going to focus on domestic issues too.

The one HUGE thing, as expected and talked about, was the Social Security reform. Tonight's speech has affected all americans in the way that we will be living our lives from here on in.

He has finally, and "he" being the President (Regardless if it's bush or not) has finally come to his knees with the current system in place. Social Security is a monster that is and will grow out of hand - And while we don't have a solution, part of any solution is going to be to prepare the people for some changes.

Expect that if you are under the age of 55, Which is everyone here, that you will be personally responsible for your retirement means. Yeah, that's heavy. No one in the world has been in our shoes right at this moment. We face a future where we may have to work to the day we die. We will have to maintain a stock portfolio as part of daily life. We will have to plan on NOT having any sort of government support, or at least, a light amount of government support for our golden years.

Make it or break it - It's now up to the individual to make the call. This is close to Anarchy, and tonight's revelation to the country is so significant that I'm beside myself. As a citizen of the US it's important to understand exactly what this all means for us - Because since no other country in world history has really pulled this off - Not with this many citizens - The world will look to us for their own future.

Within 45 years we could either exceed the expectations of the world, or come to a crashing, USSR type of halt. Scary times coming up.

-> Steve

And this isn't a "right" or "left" thing. We have known about the ultimate end of social security for over 30 years now. It's time to make a change, that's all. We can't go on saying "Fucking Bush".. because it's not his fault. It's no ones "Fault" It's a simple mathematical .... problem.

Originally posted by Sabz5150@Feb 2 2005, 11:24 PM
I was cool with just about everything except his stance on stem cell research and gay marriage.

I am glad that he is finally going to focus on domestic issues too.
[post=455618]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah his stance on stem cells is fucked up, and I don't agree with it either. What he is trying to avoid - As his pattern - Is a slippery slope. He sees (as his speeches and writings have stated) that following stem cell research may expediate a lot of medical breakthroughs, cure disease and help the deformed (Hey, like me !) But also that stem cell research is the first step down a slippery slope.

He has also stated in the past, as he did tonight that he has a problem with the sale of Human cells. And all of this research is going to create a market - if not an industry of human, organic material. It's not the beginnings of Stem Cell research that he and his administration fear, IT's the possible future of it.

He agrees with Bill Clinton that we CAN take the initiative towards stem cell research, but we must be so careful and cautious to create a trend of responsibility and a serious, humbled approach to the overall science.

And do they have a reason to fear ? Clonaid is one of the reasons. They have lashed out at the research and medical fields with a stark and frankly, scary attitude towards the whole thing. An attitude of piles of money - Not necessarily cures.

-> Steve

I was listening to it through my Japanese car stereo while replacing the ECU on my Japanese truck, with my Muslim, turkish friend and his Muslim, Bosnian girlfriend.

Is that a Communist flag in the garage ?

-> Steve

honestly, i think the house minority leader Harry Reed (D- Nevada) who spoke after the event , has some of the best political views i've seen in a senator or any politician for that matter. i was really impressed. ....to the point where, i'd like to see him run for office in '08.

He talked about domestic issues, our economy, the marshall plan after WWII - and how its time to re-build the usa like we did europe, all our jobs going to india/china, and so forth. He explained CLEARLY why bush's SS reform plan is fubar'ed. he talked about shit that mattered- not about shit that is all about ego's and crap.

As for bush, he gave the same ol' run-around, further proving to me and the rest of america, that he's an idiot.

Originally posted by cnn.com
Bush's speech lasted about an hour and was interrupted by applause 66 times, with 44 standing ovations.

figure, the average round of applause is 30 seconds.
figure an average ovation = 1 min.

therefore, his speech was really about 10 min long. :eek:

Bush said first lady Laura Bush would lead an initiative to work with parents, pastors and community leaders to encourage literacy, and discourage young people from joining gangs.

you've got to be kidding me.

kids join gangs cuz they live in the slums- and if you're alone, you're dead. if you clean up the slums and give people some jobs the gangs will get less and less.

talking to a fucking priest is not going to clean up the streets. you've got to be shitting me.

i've said it before....

i don't need to say it again.

3 more years, 329 days, and coutning

As steve said, social security reform is a vital issue.

I cant believe that anyone in this board would be AGAINST getting their own personal account instead of having to pay SS $ >>> as steve said, we are all under 55, and there is no way OUR deadbeat kids will be able to support us lol.

Its not just as easy as "getting your own private account".

In order to be able to put this policy into place it will cost millions in taxes.

A better policy would be to reform the current system. Currently if you are filthy rich you only have to pay towards SS for the first $90K that you earn. Why not increase that limit to something like $200K. This would be an easy way to pour more money into the system w/o having to increase taxes. But you'll never see Bush do something that will burden the rich folk of America.

Originally posted by OldEMaltLiQuoR@Feb 3 2005, 10:31 AM

In order to be able to put this policy into place it will cost millions in taxes.

[post=455749]Quoted post[/post]​

So what?

Seriously, Govt programs like welfare, Earned Income Credits, etc are all a big waste that perpetuate poverty in this country.

I say give me my money back (personal accounts), and ill spend it right.

people are stupid.

thats what bush thinks.
thats what the people who voted for him are.
thats what this program is aimed at.

ok, SS system is def going into the shitter with a quickness, thats FACT

but anyone who's counting on SS for their retirement is a dolt to begin with...
there needs to be some additional retirement savings besides SS or you'll be gumming ramen noodles in your cardboard box...

cocksuckers

Originally posted by Cashizslick+Feb 3 2005, 10:40 AM-->
OldEMaltLiQuoR
@Feb 3 2005, 10:31 AM

[post=455749]Quoted post[/post]​

So what?

Seriously, Govt programs like welfare, Earned Income Credits, etc are all a big waste that perpetuate poverty in this country.

I say give me my money back (personal accounts), and ill spend it right.
[post=455751]Quoted post[/post]​

very true, it's nice to know that YOU are responsible for your future instead of relying on the general populataion who couldn't care less about you to support you. It's self-empowering to save for yourself, and it breeds in a good work ethic. You work hard and save, and you'll be ok. You don't work hard, and you don't save, you're screwed and you have nobody to blame but yourself. It's time to grow up and be responsible for yourselves people.

and i bet you aren't on welfare either.

the majority of americans can plan and save for themselves....

others who can't even make it by today can't afford the dime to put away to save for later.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 3 2005, 11:55 AM
others who can't even make it by today can't afford the dime to put away to save for later.
[post=455809]Quoted post[/post]​

Exactly. With the current system, many are (I'd say purposely) held in a state of poverty where it's just not possible for them to get out of, even with the drive to do so. If that part of the system remains in place, taking another major part of it out of the equasion (like SS) is going to crash everything down.

On its current course, I give the country 40 years before it blue screens.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 3 2005, 11:55 AM
and i bet you aren't on welfare either.

the majority of americans can plan and save for themselves....

[post=455809]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

Me = need to find video of speech... didn't watch it last night.

the deal with social security... they (the SSA) said it would be in dire straits around the time we (20 somethings) will be old enough to retire, leaving us next to nothing. which is BS, hence i have my own strategy on what to do and how to save for retirement... and with some luck, and continuous work, i'll be able to do it.

real estate people. own real estate.

Back