Oh by the way, I predicted Dark Flow

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DarkHand

VIP
I completely forgot about this until my brother reminded me today:

Dark Flow is a new idea in astrophysics that theorizes about matter on the 'outside' of our universe, which is pulling on matter within our own universe. Scientists compared telescopic images of various galaxies against the Cosmic Microwave Background and noticed that huge chunks of matter are all flowing in the same direction, and there's not enough matter in the universe to explain it. The above article is dated 9-23-08, and mentions that the first actual paper on the subject will be published in the Oct. 20 2008 issue of Astrophysical Journal Letters. Read that article first, it's not long.

Now, here's a comment I made on an article on Digg:

Darkhand said:
If we assume that the Universe is infinite and always has been, then the Big Bang would be more accurately described as the Local Bang. A tiny spark in the 'greater' universe, with the CMB radiating out into it, the ever expanding limit of our visible universe. If there are other 'bangs' out there, then they have their own matter, energy, and more importantly, gravity. Could the acceleration of our 'universe' simply be its gravitational attraction to matter on the other side of the CMB? Could the perturbations and imperfections in the CMB be explained by the same gravitational tugs? This could be tested experimentally as well. One could test for redshift in galaxies and compare it with the CMB perturbations. If, for example, a high redshifted patch of galaxies matches up with a cool spot in the CMB, and this effect is the same across the entire visible universe, then it could be theorized that something from beyond the CMB is tugging on those particular areas of our 'local universe'.

The date on that comment? 6-03-08.

The physicists are in my Digg stealing my ideas. :ph34r:

Last edited:
Good stuff, but how does your idea differ from advanced dark matter theories ? Your DIGG sounds like vaguely familiar to hour 2 of any Quantum Physics symposium.

Good stuff, but how does your idea differ from advanced dark matter theories ? Your DIGG sounds like vaguely familiar to hour 2 of any Quantum Physics symposium.

That is the part that is hanging me up as far as this being considered news. Dark Matter has been talked about for many years now. Is it really that surprising that it moves?

That is the part that is hanging me up as far as this being considered news. Dark Matter has been talked about for many years now. Is it really that surprising that it moves?

What the Dark Flow theory is talking about though isn't that dark matter is moving, but that there's potentially matter on the 'other side' of the boundary of our visible Universe that's pulling on the stuff inside.

btw, I'm not actually trying to claim credit for the idea in a scientific sense, it's just one of those 'two people had the same idea at the same time' events, only one of them was a real scientist and one trolled forums all day at work. :D

Last edited:
Back