1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh by the way, I predicted Dark Flow

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by DarkHand, Dec 11, 2008.

1. DarkHand

DarkHand Senior Member VIP

I completely forgot about this until my brother reminded me today:

Dark Flow is a new idea in astrophysics that theorizes about matter on the 'outside' of our universe, which is pulling on matter within our own universe. Scientists compared telescopic images of various galaxies against the Cosmic Microwave Background and noticed that huge chunks of matter are all flowing in the same direction, and there's not enough matter in the universe to explain it. The above article is dated 9-23-08, and mentions that the first actual paper on the subject will be published in the Oct. 20 2008 issue of Astrophysical Journal Letters. Read that article first, it's not long.

Now, here's a comment I made on an article on Digg:

The date on that comment? 6-03-08.

The physicists are in my Digg stealing my ideas. :ph34r:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  2. MthaFuknGreen

MthaFuknGreen Green on the scene.

:thumbsup:

3. dacheat

dacheat ..is grounded.

man you are the nerd ninja of outer space. invite me to your nobel award ceremony! :D

4. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

Good stuff, but how does your idea differ from advanced dark matter theories ? Your DIGG sounds like vaguely familiar to hour 2 of any Quantum Physics symposium.

5. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member VIP

That is the part that is hanging me up as far as this being considered news. Dark Matter has been talked about for many years now. Is it really that surprising that it moves?

6. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

7. DarkHand

DarkHand Senior Member VIP

What the Dark Flow theory is talking about though isn't that dark matter is moving, but that there's potentially matter on the 'other side' of the boundary of our visible Universe that's pulling on the stuff inside.

btw, I'm not actually trying to claim credit for the idea in a scientific sense, it's just one of those 'two people had the same idea at the same time' events, only one of them was a real scientist and one trolled forums all day at work. :D

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted