Oh my god.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by Seany-izzle+Sep 2 2005, 08:42 AM-->
@Sep 1 2005, 11:56 PM
Ever try to kill a roach in the Bronx ? Yeah. thought so.

-> Steve
[post=548574]Quoted post[/post]​

queens, and atleast they arent that big!!! but they do make a big wet squish and their guts fly out of their ass or their head pops off and everything else comes out with it.... its a little gross.
[post=548711]Quoted post[/post]​

Those aren't guts, those are eggs - And they are now on your shoe. Never stomp a roach - I've always said that :)_

Yeah, if I had ammo, I would shoot those spiders, and then never sleep again.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Sep 2 2005, 10:52 AM
can you eat those? :blink:
[post=548737]Quoted post[/post]​

theres a video on ehowa of someone eating one

Fuck. Those things are insane.

Kill one with a blowgun, stuff it, and hang it in a corner of your house to see what your guests would do. :ph34r:

I'm pretty sure you can train those spiders to attack someone trying to steal your car. :lol: new meaning to 'immobilizer'

alien.jpg

spider.jpg

:ph34r:

it is....

the cig pack is too small...and the hair on the legs is too defined to be that detailed with the pack of ciggs...

I think it was shown to just give a size comparison...since the legs can be 5-6 inches long on an adult camel spider...

Originally posted by StarBellieAngel@Sep 1 2005, 10:25 PM
jeez people... find the factoids. so it's NOT an arachnid, i was incorrect, but i notice no one cares.

The myth of the camel spider is largely propagated in Arab countries and is not well known in western countries such as the United States. The real truth about the camel spider is that it really isn't a spider, but rather an order of non-spider arachnids called Solifugae.

they're awesome.

Camel spiders are the subject of a variety of legendary claims, many of them familiar to Americans because they were spread by U.S. servicemen who served in the Persian Gulf War in 1991, and re-spread at the beginning of the Iraq War in 2003:

* Camel spiders can grow to be as large as dinner plates.

* Camel spiders can traverse desert sand at speeds up to 25 MPH, making screaming noises as they run.

* Camel spiders can jump several feet in the air.

* Camel spiders eat the stomachs of camels and lay their eggs there, hence the name "camel spider." (Legend includes the detail that camel spiders eat camel stomachs from either the outside in or the inside out. In the former case they supposedly jump up from the ground and grab onto camels' bellies from underneath; in the latter case exactly how spiders allegedly as large as dinner plates get into camels' stomachs intact remains unexplained.)

* Camel spiders are venomous, and their venom contains a powerful anesthetic that numbs their victims (thus allowing them to gnaw away at living, immobilized animals without being noticed). U.S. soldiers were said to have been attacked by camel spiders at night but remained completely unaware of their plight until they awakened in the morning to find chunks of their flesh missing.

These claims are all false. Camel spiders (so named because, like camels, they can be found in sandy desert regions, although they aren't technically spiders) grow to be moderately large (about a 5"-6" leg span), but nowhere near as large as dinner plates; they can move very quickly in comparison to other arthropods (a top speed of maybe 10 MPH), but nothing close 25 MPH; they make no noise; and they capture prey without the use of either venom or anesthetic. Camel spiders rely on speed, stealth, and the (non-venomous) bite of powerful jaws to feed on small prey such as other arthropods (e.g., scorpions, crickets, pillbugs), lizards, and possibly mice or birds. They use only three pairs of legs in running; the frontmost pair (called pedipalpa) is held aloft and used in a similar manner to the antennae of insects. Camel spiders shun the sun and generally hide during the day, coming out at night to do their hunting.

Although the creatures shown in the photograph above appear to be far too big for camel spiders, they look misleadingly large because of their closeness to the camera, which creates an illusion of exaggerated size.

[post=548560]Quoted post[/post]​

What? You're confusing me. You say that it's not an arachnid, but then you post an article clearly stating that it is an arachnid. Did you mean that it's not actually a spider? :huh:

i would literally shit myself. i dont have a problem with spiders but holy shit. and for the past few hours, if something grazes against me ive been flipping out.

Originally posted by Airjockie+Sep 3 2005, 09:35 AM-->
alien.jpg

spider.jpg

:ph34r:
[post=549151]Quoted post[/post]​
:lol: That was the silliest thing I have seen all day!!! Thank you for that!

Originally posted by VTEC_CBR@Sep 4 2005, 01:12 PM
ripperbone
@Sep 2 2005, 01:23 PM
that was figgin huge.
[post=548844]Quoted post[/post]​

funny story, your mom told me the same thing last night. :ph34r:
[post=549531]Quoted post[/post]​

Damn! You beat me too it. I was gonna give the classic.."That's what she said!"

Originally posted by Celerity@Sep 1 2005, 04:44 PM

carpet Bomb that country. Now.
[post=548480]Quoted post[/post]​

i second that notion.

havnt seen any that big before, but i did have a buddy of mine have one crawl across his face while he was sleeping (it was only about the size of my fist though).

Back