oh my i need help here man

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mrnice1058

OK i had the engine started and it was working OK i needed to tune it but i didn't have it complete i needed to put the axles on and that was it, this is what i did after the last time i started
i put in the axles and the intermediate shaft
i had to make room for the alternator so i used a pry bar and bend the fender area about an inch i don't know if it moved my tranny or what
i put the wheel on and now it doesn't start it sounds like a car that is already started and you turn the key while it engine is on and it grins the fly wheel here is where i am stuck i took the starter off and checked the teeth on the starter and the flywheel and it was fine but why doesn't it start it wants to start but something is stopping it, it starts to want to start then stops because of that grinding noise when i took the starter out i had my dad turn the key and it turned while it was out so i was wondering if i put pressure on the engine and pushed the axle to tight in the tranny or if the tranny is really pushed in and i have to unbolt it and re-bolt it please guys help me out i am getting tired of working on this engine thanks guys
by the way the axles move with no problem and there is no noise or an locking problem.

Try rotating the motor using a socket and bolt in the crank pulley,I had the same problem when I changed my Clutch just need to move the pulle a inch or two and try it again.

Hope that helps,Jim

thanks man but let me ask you this do you think i need to take the axles off and losen the tranny some to just relieve some pressure?

Was your Tranny already bolted to the motor and torqued down? if so then it would'nt have moved it. another ? can you rotate each wheel without it binding or feeling any grinding? if you don't feel anything you should be good. ;)

yeah i can turn both wheels and there is no noise or anything but i can understand how the starter will die like that out of no where so if i can turn the crank tomorrow with no problem then it is the starter if i can't then what should i look for?

no, what I mean is turn the motor over by hand and then try and start it using your starter, mine kept grinding over and over, so I turned it by hand and it has been fine since!!!!! :wave:

it never did it again?wow but what do you think caused it to happen?

The flywheel probably wasn't lined up with the teeth on the starter enough, and every time I tried to start the motor it kept grinding. So by turning the motor over by hand it let the starter engage properly.

Are you using the stock flywheel?

stock flywheel but what i don't understand is the engine started before but it is wierd, but when it turns it seems like it is getting locked man it is wierd could that be all of it tho even tho it seems like it is getting locked anything else i can look for?

Are you turning the motor over with it in Neutral? if not, that may be why it feels like that, also it could be the compression of the motor itself. i have that problem(it gets harder to turn in some spots) when I am setting up for my leakdown tests!!!

yeah it is in nutral beside i didn't let go of the clutch when i was starting the motor compression you think that is wierd this is getting wierder by the day man, so if the motor turns by hand put the starter back in and see if it starts from there, i got that should i take my valve cover off and check the timing over again?

Try loosening it first and re-torque, as that is the easiest to do first,then if you still have the prob, then remove trans and inspect the clutch,disc and flywheel. also try spinning the Input shaft of the trans while you have it out to make sure it doesn't have a bad bearing. try the easiest stuff first then work to the hardest.

ok i turned it and it got locked after 3/4 of a turn so it has to be my tranny it seems like it is locking how can that be?

i put the car together yesterday i went to start it and it just grinded the starter and the flywheel i took the starter off and it was fine i thought maybe the tranny was locked took it off and fine i out a socket on the crank and it spun just a little bit and then the engine locked, spun the socket the other way and it locked again it locked both ways what do i need to do?

could b e the tranny or the motor. only way to check is seperate them then check the motor for the same locking. if it does the same thing then thats not good!!!
if it spins ok then you know the motor is ok. then you have to check the flywheel,clutch disc, pressure plate. and trans

Back