Oh what to do???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

99sidude

VIP
As it stands right now I have two standing offers on the table for engineering jobs at Honda. I have a choice to make: do what seems more interesting, or bank an extra 9 thou? I have to make up my mind by 3:30 tomorrow. This decision is killing me so I thought why not get some credible advice from all you Hondaswapers.

Job one is at Honda R&D doing design work on dealer accessories. For this job I get to be involved from ideation, to working with artist, to design, to concept and testing. I would actually get to go out on the high speed test track and do wind noise testing on roof racks and spoilers. With this I'd have a variety of small projects and be working on different products all the time. Its a small area of the company so the job scope is large.

The base pay at R&D sucks; however they pay overtime at your calculated hourly rate. I figure I'll be making $62k a year. The benefits are sick: Free Healthcare, nasty 401k match, and a nice pension and life insurance plan.

Job two is at Honda Engineering. Here I'd be doing strait up design work on the stamping dies they use to form body panels. The cool thing is that on my interview I got to see parts for some new crossover coming out in a few years. They told me I could be sitting behind a CAD scope for 4-500 hours at a time, and see little hands on. This job isn't nearly as exciting to me, and seems like I would get bored.

The base pay here is better, and they do time and a half OT. I figure I'll be making $71k a year, or around $9k more per year than the other job. The benefits are about the same.

I really like the R&D job, so I went back asking for more money. I promptly got denied. So now I'm stuck deciding between doing what I want, or making some serious bank. I could do some nasty things to my civic with an extra 9 g's laying around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back