Oh yeah

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
So I'm working at east of chicago tonight, I took 6 runs total...all out of the new haven city limits, Doty road, US 24, webster road, river haven, rolling meadows up on the north end...Yeah ALL at least a 10 minute drive each way.

So my gas light comes on at 245 miles on the tank...I take this one delivery about 8:15 out to River haven, the lady gives me a the change for a tip and then hands me two more dollars cause "gas is high" I thank her profusely and walk out the door...knowing I need gas BAD.

So I'm rolling down Hartzell road and my car starts to sputter...fuck me...i get up to the first track, cross over...low and fucking behold there's a train on the OTHER set of tracks. Right now it's 8:30.

So I let it idle as much as I can, around 8:50 with the train still sitting there I hear the fuel pump start to suck air...fuck fuck fuck

8:51....car dies... won't restart.

8:52 I call my work and say Uh yeah I'm a be late, then I call my dad and say hey bring me a container of gas.

As I get off the phone with him the guy rolls up behind me and helps my push my car off to the side...

at 9 fucking 10 this train FINALLY clears the tracks. My dad comes across and hands me the container of 87 and I put in enough to get her started, drive her across the fucking tracks to the gas station where I put in 11.117 gallons of 92 octane...

New Haven law dictates Norfolk and Southern cannot hold up a crossing for more than 10 minutes....let alone 40.

I felt like I was gonna puke when i heard the pump start sucking air, and then the engine die.

I know I can make 280 miles on one tank though. if it wasn't for 21 minutes of idling I would have made it across the tracks and to the gas station...not more than 50 ft away.

That's my shittay story for the night...not as bad as Claytons or Wills...but yeah.

Commence on the name calling and bashing of the stupid me.

:cliffs:
too many long distance deliveries
ran out of gas
dad gave me gas
sittin here typing waiting to be called names

just so you know next time, it's smart to turn off the engine completely if there's a chance you could be just sitting somewhere for more than a couple minutes, cuz it takes more gas to idle for three minutes than it does to start your car...that's about the extent of my car knowledge, but i know for a fact that works, i've done it several times, cuz i'm low on gas allll the time cuz i'm broke...wow i just gave revolution8k something he didn't already know about cars, HOLY SHIT!!!

I knew that but the car is tempermental at 230 miles, sometimes it takes 3 or 4 tries to crank it on low fuel, let alone at 280 miles...I was already having trouble cranking it over before I took the delivery. Either way I don't think I would have made it.

um ditto on the turning off the car you would have had a better chance
even if it did not start

Trains suck

Originally posted by jeffie7@May 8 2004, 10:41 PM
um ditto on the turning off the car you would have had a better chance
even if it did not start

Trains suck

Yeah...I would have gone over the tracks, sputtered out and held up traffic. I got free dinner out of it, my dad asked me if I was hungry while I was puttin some gas in and he was like just come on over I made some bbq chicken, potatoes and peas. So it all worked out to my benefit.

:thumbsup:

Fine. you clean the office tomorrow Mark. I don't give a fuck. :shrug2: after I finish cleaning the food court...I'm going home.

those dang Si's and their high performance b16 motors... tempermental... :p

hehe...

that totally sucks i feel your pain. when my old 92 civic gas light came on it usually meant i had 10 miles or so.

Oh the best part is when I filled up I put 11.117 gallons in it...the Si tank is 13.2 gallons...I doubt I put more than a 20 ounces of gas in from the can...how can my car possibly die even with roughly 2 gallons left in the tank? is the Pump really that high up in the tank??

Samething happened to me but I was on the freeway about 30 miles from home. My gas light didn't even bother to come on. I knew I was low on gas but I thought for sure the light would come on. Worse part about it is I was on a date, it was night time, and I got off on what I thought was an offramp which turned out to be an onramp to another freeway. Not good times...

fuck it .... shit happens

ive ran out of gas at least 10 times :)

Originally posted by yeahIdriveaTGL@May 9 2004, 04:21 AM
cuz it takes more gas to idle for three minutes than it does to start your car...

Of course it does.

Back