oil and comp. leak

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

madvtec_2008

VTEC YO!
so i got my motor together and in the car....added oil...cranked it over. and looked like exhaust gasses were coming out of the valve cover...and i have a terrible oil leak between the block and head on the tranny side....wondering if its cuz the head bolts are torque to yeild and the head isn't bolted down tight enough or if anyone has any suggestions to why i have the oil leak and the exhaust gas problem

the head isnt tight enough...and you will probably need to take it back off to clean oil/coolant out of the cylinders,

Sounds to me like you didnt torque the head down in the correct sequence. Your supposed to start in the middle, than go outward doing top left, then right bottom, then lower left, the upper right and so on. But always start in the middle and dont torque them down untill all are in by hand tight. Torque in the same sequence with the engine cold to oem torque specifications.

Make sure you replace the head studs also.

the head isnt tight enough...and you will probably need to take it back off to clean oil/coolant out of the cylinders,

there's no coolant in the cylinders because i didn't hook up the radiator....i just wanted to see how it turned over and how it fired.

ok..well you still have to pull the head...theres oil on the gaskey so now it wont seal correctly no matter how tight you make it...
time for a new gasket:D

you said what?...conjecture?....come on man...big word...but i did a comp test on the first cylinder so far and i got about 120 psi. on a low batter (slow cranking)...on 8.5:1 comp. pistons...but when i pressurize the cylinder to listen for a leak...then the air cam out the valve cover....?

You said oil on the transmission? Check the oil pressure. Maybe your leaking from the rear main seal. When the engine starts to get hot, if oil gets all over the place, it WILL burn and smoke will come "up". May look like its coming from the valve cover, but it may be coming from somewhere else.

the engine hasn't even ran yet...i was just checking things out...the oil is leaking out from the head gasket cuz when i pressurize the cylinder i can see and hear air bubles coming out of the tranny side in the back....kinda where the thermostat...by the way its a b16a

Dictionary.com. C'mon man, look it up and educate yourself. :)

120psi is extremely low. Was the engine at full operating temp and did you have the throttle fully open?

the formation or expression of an opinion or theory without sufficient evidence for proof. haha

the engine hasn't even ran yet...i was just checking things out...the oil is leaking out from the head gasket cuz when i pressurize the cylinder i can see and hear air bubles coming out of the tranny side in the back....kinda where the thermostat...by the way its a b16a

when i plug the valve cover breather

Valve cover exhaust

The exhaust gases in the valve cover is due to worn valve guides. You need to take the head off and bring it to a machine shop where they can knurl the guides so the valves get a proper seal within them or you can get them replaced. The knurling is a temporary solution that should last quite a while and the replacement guides would pretty much last the life of the engine.;) nothing else to really do.

The exhaust gases in the valve cover is due to worn valve guides. You need to take the head off and bring it to a machine shop where they can knurl the guides so the valves get a proper seal within them or you can get them replaced. The knurling is a temporary solution that should last quite a while and the replacement guides would pretty much last the life of the engine.;) nothing else to really do.

i dont think so dude because when i pressurize the cylinder air comes out so im pretty sure that the gasses are coming from the burning fuel

First, good man. :thumbsup:

So it's leaking just from hand cranking? Yeah, I'd pull that off and re-do it.

yeah...so i came to the conlusion that if i was getting blow-by i wouldn't be getting as good of compression as im getting....if you wouldn't agree... :confused:

ok

i realize what your saying but i dont know of any other way that you could get exhaust in you top end, not unless you have a cracked cylinder head with a hole some how, because you said there is a leak on the head to block mating surface and if it was all torqued to spec but still leaking you could have a warped head due to constant overheating or someone constantly beating on it which could lead to a cracked head.

take the head off...put a level(the thing with a straight edge and the bubbles inside) and put it acorss the block first from lower left corner to upper right corner...then upper left corner to lower right corner(of the top of the block..then from left side to right side and eyeball it to see if there are any dips or gaps between the block and level,,,then do the same to the head...that will tell if it is warped..if not then redo the headgasket...and get new headbolts/studs,,torque them in the correct sequence and to the factory specs...dip the bolts in oil befor installing so they are well lubricated

i realize what your saying but i dont know of any other way that you could get exhaust in you top end, not unless you have a cracked cylinder head with a hole some how, because you said there is a leak on the head to block mating surface and if it was all torqued to spec but still leaking you could have a warped head due to constant overheating or someone constantly beating on it which could lead to a cracked head.

i was thinking that it was either blow by or the compression leaking into an oil galley....i highly doubt that the head is cracked

yes

It could definetly be blow by, because of worn or broken rings but it still shouldn't cause it to leak out between the head and block. It should just burn it and send it out the exhaust valves to the exhaust system

Back