oil filter relocation question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Eskie

i just bought a oil filter relocation kit of ebay, not knowing that it came off a ford truck..

i could still make all the hoses fit and whatnot, but the filter it takes is about twice the size of my integra GS-R's.

so my question is.. would this still work or would it fuck up the oil pressure or something ?

bump

anyone know how the size of an oil filter affects anything as long as its hooked up to the engine ?

the reason big trucks have bigger filters is because they are supposed to be able to hold more dirt and debris that is created by the big hard working engine. If you use the same filter element as the ford, your engine will probobly run just fine. You can use a different filter then is designed for whatever truck it came off of as well. Try a few different sizes, just make sure that the seal lines up with the sealing surface on the filter mount.

The filter manufacturers, much like car manufacturers, will have a few different filter 'bases' and they will use them for many of thier filters. The only difference in most cases is that the 'can' that houses the filter element is taller, thus allowing more element to be used in the filter. Other then the element, there is a check valve inside the filter that prevents oil from going back into the oil pan and training the filter when the engine is turned off. They do this so that when you start you car again, the oil system is mostly still full of oil and it takes alot less time to build oil pressure and make the light go out.

I say hook it up and use it.

Originally posted by Eskie@May 18 2004, 11:29 AM
i just bought a oil filter relocation kit of ebay, not knowing that it came off a ford truck..

i could still make all the hoses fit and whatnot, but the filter it takes is about twice the size of my integra GS-R's.

so my question is.. would this still work or would it fuck up the oil pressure or something ?

I wanna know how the hell you are palnning on hooking it up to the block?

Yeah you can use the bigger filter. The only time you would have a problem with this stuff is putting a smaller filter with a big motor. Basically the bigger filter can handle more oil pressure, so the pressure that the Honda uses is not enough to cause a problem. If that was off a ford truck, it is either an AL8A or AL2, the two first letters might be different, but those are the numbers for Fram filters. The two are the same diameter, but the 8A is taller.

yea it is a fram oil filter relocation thingy (just the mount didnt come withe the part that connects to the block i am buying an integra one for that) and the size is FL-784, but yea ill just hook it up and see how it goes

Back