Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OEM Filters

• WIX Filters

• Ot

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by Slammed89Integra@Oct 5 2003, 10:07 AM
I used a napa filter once, and the bitch leaked in 4 days.

Are you sure you tightened it? :lol:

I doubt it was the filter.

Originally posted by Calesta@Oct 4 2003, 12:21 PM
I'm not sure that those filters will fit on a D or B block... I'm pretty sure that the K blocks use a different size filter.

The filters for the K series blocks are physically smaller than the other Honda filters, but the thread pattern and gasket diameter are the same.

Originally posted by Calesta@Oct 2 2003, 01:05 PM
By the way- your poll is somewhat useless the way you set it up- you can only pick one item, not two.

LOL!!!!

<------ Always OEM filter with a fresh crush washer and dino oil.

the reason why they make synthetic is cuz its better..i still do a mixture half mobil1 synthetic and half castrol...tryin to find the best of both worlds..oil is one of the most important things in our cars,so its good to talk about even tho its not that exciting..hehe

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Oct 2 2003, 12:02 PM
i use castrol syntec 10w-30 full synthetic, with K&N performance gold filters. i just started to use these filters, has anyone used these? thoughts?

i have always used the K & N oil filters exclusivly and i think they are a hell of alot better than almost all the other options out there(i like the design where the motor has oil even on start-ups instead of the oil filter draining back out after the car is off) except maybe the Mobil 1 filters, and i kept switching oils till i settled on Mobile 1 Full Synthetic, thinking of changing to Redline or Royal Purple.... thoughts

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord+Oct 7 2003, 12:16 AM-->
I don't understand why people still use dino oil....Filter preference I can see, but to use natural over synth is a mystery to me.
All my cars have used dino quite happily with the engines lasting "forever". I just go by what Honda recommends for my car and I'm content. My current car has over 260K on its original engine and tranny, and I race around in it, do a little autoX in it, and haul cargo in it (and still race up and down the twisties with a full load!). So how am I wrong in handling her maintenance?dohcvtec_accord
@Oct 7 2003, 12:16 AM
the reason why they make synthetic is cuz its better..

Your logic is flawed here dude. It's not like dino oil is being phased out. Plus, if synthetic was better, then my owner's manual would have recommended it over dino oil. Even at the Honda dealerships, it's dino oil is what's offered.

Even though most of us on the boards push our cars harder than the average driver, we don't live at the track doing time trial laps every day. So have you all switched to stainless steel brake lines too?

With the way most of us drive, the choice of oil is the least of our cars' problems... lol ;)

Hey, first of all, don't go quoting me on stuff I didn't say. :)

Second, the reasons to use synth over natural are abundant. It lubricates better, lasts longer (it doesn't break down as quickly) and has a higher boiling point.

Your owner's manual recommends dino oil because most people driving a Civic (or Accord for that matter) AREN'T racing it, autocrossing is, etc. Most people buy Hondas because they're economic and last forever. If you're beating on your engine more than the normal person, why not use an oil that's better equipped to handle that beating?

Edit: Page 3 :owned:

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Oct 7 2003, 09:21 AM
So have you all switched to stainless steel brake lines too?

i have :p :) .

I was talking to a mechanic at work about synthetic oil, he was tellin me the only way u should use synthec is right from the beginning, he told me u do more harm to an engine by just starting at 100000km, he said that what happens is the synthetic oil does to good of a job, and starts making its way into the cylinder threw the pistons, and how it affects your whp, and i didnt totally understand, but he still made the point, not to just start using synthec out of the blue, and with oil filters, another guy told me with hondas u only use oem oil filters, all others leak, true or not i dont know, anyone feel free to comment on that

Originally posted by 03jetta1.8t@Oct 7 2003, 04:45 PM
another guy told me with hondas u only use oem oil filters, all others leak, true or not i dont know, anyone feel free to comment on that

I've used K&N, Mobil 1 and Wix's. None of them ever leaked.

The viscosity of your oil, the weight and thickness, can effect gas mileage and hp. I thinner oil might sneak by easier. Only a true racer should have to worry about that minimal gain IMO. Nascar has spare engines, and rebuild them on a regular basis. I believe that synthetic is better, but also more expensive. Change your oil often, check the level often, and use the appropriate weight for your climate. I live in a fairly moderate place, the Northwest US. I use 20w50 all year round. I may get more performance out of 5w30, or better mileage, but I would rather keep my engine running tip top. My 2 cents.

castrol high horsepower synthetic with motomaster filter. best in the business y0!

Originally posted by 03jetta1.8t@Oct 7 2003, 06:45 PM
I was talking to a mechanic at work about synthetic oil, he was tellin me the only way u should use synthec is right from the beginning, he told me u do more harm to an engine by just starting at 100000km, he said that what happens is the synthetic oil does to good of a job, and starts making its way into the cylinder threw the pistons, and how it affects your whp, and i didnt totally understand, but he still made the point, not to just start using synthec out of the blue, and with oil filters, another guy told me with hondas u only use oem oil filters, all others leak, true or not i dont know, anyone feel free to comment on that

"syntheitc oil does too good of a job,.." that is such a load of BS. your mechanic is feeding you BS. the thing is, mechanics dont want you to start using synth cause you won't need to come back for a REBUILD anytime soon!

the other thing about the leaking oil filters is BS too. leaking has nothng to do with the quality of the filter...and everything to do with how tightly the person installed it (should be tightened by hand, but with alot of force)

here's the lowdown on synthetic oils:

"Synthetic base oils are engineered to be purer substances with much tighter control of the actual molecules used in the oil. Conventional oils on the other hand are extracted from crude oil in a refinery where they are cleaned and processed to make an oil that is the appropriate viscosity for formulating engine oil. Conventional oils have a broad mix of hydrocarbon structures; some are small molecules, some are big. Ultimately, this broad mix of molecules can have a detrimental effect on the long-term performance of conventional oil."

the above was culled from this very informative, NON-BIASED article:
http://www.dirtroad.com/oil2.htm

Back