oil for the turbo/motor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civic15.8

ok, I talked to a guy tonight that had a turbo on his car. And he said to make sure i run un-detergent oil with my turbo. I dont know much about oil and i have never heard of un-detergent oil before. So is this type of oil real? Did this guy know what he was talking about? And whether its true or not what kind of oil would be the best? I heard mobil 1 and castrol gtx are the best? thanks in advance.

I never heard of that before either. Maybe he was talking about oils that have different types of additives in it that will end up gunking up the shaft and ball bearings in turbos and cause them to break. :hmm:

damn near all oils have detergents in them, just real the labels and they should say wether or not it contains them.

this is why he told me to get the undetergent kind:

cause they regular kind flows best and it will flow to fast for the bearings and it will screw them up so i need to get the un-detergent kind so it flows slower.

i will look at the oils labels and see what kind it is. i just dont want to get some piece of junk oil (if there even is some piece of junk oil) :shrug2:

Redline synthetic oil! Thats what I am running. I ran Royal Purple before that.

There is Such things as non detergent oils. I used them in my Karts after a rebuild to break them in. I know some eurpean turbo cars recommend using a non detergent oil. But the thing with not having the detergents are that sludge can build up and what not. using a regular motor oil removes the sludge before it gets bad and helps prevent them. You may want to use a synthetic oil maybe a bit thicker than normal to help it not break down.. or check out AmsOil they make a specific turbo formula! Va-La my 2c

allright thanks guys i think i will either go with synthetic oil or that oil accordturbo94 was talking about (amsoil) thanks alot :worthy: :worthy:

mobil1 synthetic claims engines properly broke in will show no signs of wear after 200,000 miles

MOBIL One :worthy: If F1 uses it... shouldn't you? :D
AMSOIL - I run that in my stock CX hatchback. I forget how long it'll last.... I believe like 3 months without changing maybe. I know it lasts longer and is just as good as Mobil and Castrol. Expect to pay more for it though.

How do you figure. My brother has used it in his B16 boosting 18 psi for a year now.

He just now started to leak coolant though. That's been his first problem so far.

about a year or so ago someone on here found a place that did a test on different types of oil(dino-vs-synthetic) and different brands -vs- one another. I am not saying mobil1 is the crappiest oil ever. It still is better than running dino oil. What i am saying is that out of synthetics, Mobil1 is the worst. Do some research. I would rather spend the money and get the best when it comes to oil, that is all!

I know AMSOIL tested Mobil 1 in their own magazine... it had maybe 6 or 7 tests included and I think Amsoil beat Mobil 1 in all but one. More than likely it was biased and it wasn't showing EVERY test. But I don't think I have the mag anymore. :(

I PLAN on changing and rebuilding mine so much that I jsut put in 10w-30 castrol GTX. Fuck it, I don't rock anything longer than 50k without tearing up something major or selling it. ;)

50k??? has your civic seen mroe than 5k since i've known you bro? lol

Back