oil from turbine?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

5speed

well i just checked my turbo and i saw a bit of oil coming out of the turbine. From what i've heard that could mean that the inner seal blew. But i'm not sure, cuz it was only a little bit of oil. So if my seal did blow...do i need to replace the turbo? or could i get a new seal for it and where could i find the seal?

i'm not too sure on your specific issue, however i work on diesel engine emission testing and inspections. one of the issues concerning diesel emissions is blown turbos. the bearings and seals go out and oil gets into the exhaust and burns while running the truck. black smoke comes out the exhaust. this is what i look for (that trucks dont put out too much black smoke). you may also have smoke coming out your exhaust pipe. this is a sign of a bad turbo on diesels so the turbo has to be considered for inspection for the cause of the smoke. sometimes the companies mechanics have already rebuilt or replaced the turbo. i also look in the exhaust pipes and muffler unit. signs of oil are sometimes found. look into weather or not your turbo can be rebuilt. chanses are that if you never had the oil where you see it now then something is wrong. wish i had a more definate answer for you but i hope it helps since no one else has yet replied to your thread

no smoke at all out of exhaust..like i said...the oil doesnt leak alot...and i can wipe it off..if i drive it casually its all good...but if i beat on it a few times...just a very little bit of oil leaks after a few days..

yeah it will leak if you beat on it LOL thats how they usually go out on diesel trucks. drivers pushin too hard with heavy loads...up hill, down hill, on their jake brakes, etc. lack of maintenance is also an issue with the large trucking fleets. as to your car..if its a small leak you may be burning it off in your cat or its small enough that you dontnotice it. if you take the turbo off and look in the exhaust exit to your cat you may see evidence of oil going down there...like clean or wet spots or buned junk in one area of the pipe. but if its small stilli would just leave it. chances are you would like a bigger turbo anyhow that can take the harder abuse you put on your turbo. your turbo may just be overworked thats what youi have a turbo for anyhow. more power. if it were me i would: 1-see if my turbo can be rebuilt 2-evaluate what my turbo can handle withou trubble 3-decide if my turbo is still enough for me. if my answer is yes to all those i would rebuild it. if the answer is no to 1 but yes to 2 and 3, i would replace my turbo. if the answer is no to 3, i would run mine till it goes out but i would be saving for a new turbo and system up grades that will give me the power i want from a turbo

turbo had new ballbearings put into it not too long ago...i barely beat on it..still has lots of power and runs great...turbo doesnt actually leak, just the turbine area gets oily and will only see a tiny bit of oil after beating it a few times..cuz if the seal blew or if its a bad turbo..shoudnt it be leaking even if driving it casually? cuz the turbo will still be spining and oil will still be feeding in and out and if turbo is bad then it should still leak...just wondering if anyone had this problem and may know if its something to worry bout or not.

i know if theres black smoke then that tells me the turbo is bad and the seal is probably broken..but i have NO SMOKE coming out of exhaust...so im sure the turbo is still fine....all feedlines are good...too....if turbo is bad..it shoudlnt be boosting and may lagg.

Your set up is not that tired if there isn't smoke coming out but it may be that you are leading in that direction and you are being observant/cautious?

pull the coupler off the charge pipe that goes from your turbo to the intercooler, if you see oil, you will need new seals.

no oil in the pipes either...i've been told its okay from many ppl, they've also said that since its a turbonetics turbo its fine..but i guess i am cautious also..so dont worry..the return lines arent pinched,no oil in the pipes..no smoke...just bit of oil from turbine..

Back