Oil In Cold air intake

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ATLboi81

I have a 93 accord and oil is leaking into the intake tube but not into the throttle body(think God). Could someone please please please let me know what this is and if it can be fixed. And Could I have your opinion on if an h22 swap is worth it (Auto tranny)?

It's not the oil being too high. :bash:

The breather hose from the valve cover gets routed back to the intake. Because oil is presentin the head, some of it gets blown into the breather hose and into the intake. This is completely normal.

To combat this, people will sometimes install an oil catch can. IMO, it's not neccesary unless you have alot of oil accumulating in the intake, and if that's happening, you have other problems to worry about. :)

Yes I have hose from valve cover to intake. It has not always done this and oil has always been changed with same amount of oil. I was told that it could B a piston ring could be going bad. Thanks for the insight guys :worthy:

I have seen people take the hose off and put a little filter on. I dont know if its functional or just for show.

It's definitely harmful to block it off.

Putting a small filter on there is OK, but it's more for show. I imagine you'd have to take it off and clean it periodically, since the oil that was getting blown into your intake tube would be getting trapped in the filter.

Quoted post[/post]]
It's definitely harmful to block it off.

Putting a small filter on there is OK, but it's more for show. I imagine you'd have to take it off and clean it periodically, since the oil that was getting blown into your intake tube would be getting trapped in the filter.

I did block it off a while back, as I installed a supercharger and didn't think oil could work it way in with compressed air in the charge pipes anyway... but now that I think of it, it would lubricate during vacuum right?

The breather functions the same as the hose, but instead of blowing it into your intake, which is a shitty idea if you think about it, it just gets caught in the filter. This also allows you to put a custom homemade pipe intake deal on there if you want, and bypass the need to have a hose nipple on your intake pipe. Christ, I had no idea until this thread what that thing was, but now it all makes sense. Cool. :)

Problem being, Honda designed these motors with a semi presurized crankcase (PCV = positive crankcase ventilation). By using the vacuum of the engine, it draws air (and sometimes oil) out of the crankcase, and up into the valve cover - and eventually back into your intake. Running normally, you shouldn't have liquid in your intake - rather maybe a trace of oil. For now, run the hose facing down, away from the intake - into the open. either buy a cheapo-Ebay catchcan, or fix the oil blow-by problem (which as stated earlier, could by rings, or ring lands). If you buy the catch can, hook one end to the valve cover, and the other end to the PCV tube behind the motor. Haven't done this myself, so I'm not totally familiar with the PCV system - so maybe PSol could help me out a bit.

EDIT: Catch cans are a must if you are running forced induction, blow-by is common in boosted engines, and a fine mist of oil into your intake tract can cause detonation, and generally shitty performance.

Back