Oil in reservoir tank

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

egsir

My friend has a 97 gsr with some mods on it. He found oil in the reservoir tank. But he says the car runs normal. He has i/h/e, skunk2 intake manifold, dc 4-2-1 header, aem cam gears, skunk2 stage 2 cams, no valve train upgrade, fpr, fuel rail and hondata. Would you guys speculate that the headgasket is blown? Also his hondata S200 does not function properly on hot days until he cools it down by blowing ac to the floor. Any ideas? Thanks for the input.... :)

His head gasket could be starting to leak. How many miles on that engine? I suppose that he could flush his coolant systen, and then keep checking on both his coolant and oil... for both the levels and the integrity of the fluids. There is no other way for oil to get into his reservoir, except through a bad head gasket.

When the head gasket on my Si was starting to leak, she still ran well. My symptom was increasing oil levels. But I don't go crazy on being in vtec mode, so my engine tends not to lose oil otherwise.

Change the oil, and look at it when it is sitting in the oil pan. If it looks like milk chocolate, it is most likely the head gasket. You can also just check the dip stick too. Honestly even if it is not a blown head gasket, I would still flush and change the coolant anyways, and while you are at it, change the oil too.

Back