Oil leak near vtec solinoid

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

technolud

I have a JDM B16a motor with undetermined miles. Runs good but I have a pretty fair oil leak which appears to be coming from either the vtec solinoid or the exhaust cam end seal. Is there a typical leak spot here?

Thanks, Technolud

ive had a couple people tell me that they were leaking oil there, and my motor also leaked oil there so i guess it is common. all you have to do is put some sealant on the exhaust cam seal, or replace it, also make sure its not just your valve cover seal leaking oil.

Thanks, I'll buy the gasket and apply the silicone. At first I thought it was the head gasket becuase its real wet where the head meets the block, but then I relized it was coming from higher up. Being a chevy guy first thing I did after that was change the valve cover gasket but these honda gaskets are real nice. I don't think that was the problem.

its most likely the vtec solenoid gasket, they leak all the time, jsut go to honda like eg6 said, but when you install it do not use any sealer, if you do it could get into the solenoid and clog it, and then you wouldn't have any vtec.
three 10 mm bolts and 10 mins of your time and itll be good for another 50kMi

and if you wanted (kinda pointless) you can spray a copper sealer on the vtec gasket. ive seen people do it but personally i would say its not gonna change much since its a nice thin rubber gasket. you know is it considered a o-ring or a gasket? cause its thin and rubber like an o-ring but its not round....but when you say gasket i think of a thick flat rubber or cork gasket....just one of those random questions....

how about its not an o-ring or a gasket, more of a seal.
sort of like the valve cover gasket, that is more of a seal too, rather than a gasket, even tho we all call it a gasket.

Oil leak noer exhaust cam

Solution. I bought a cam seal from KMS for $10 shipped. Changed it out about a month ago, no more oil. It was a little more work then I expected though.

Last edited:
Back