oil leak plz help...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

efnick

my 90 civic dx is leaking oil. just changed it out for new stuff, with a new filter and i know i put everything on nice and tight. it was leaking when the original owner had it too. where are some common areas that these cars form leaks? it shouldnt be anywhere a beaten car would have it as my car has 103,000 original miles, and was babied by the last owners. any suggestions on where to check? (the oil is the crank-case type [brown]) thanks, nick.

If its leaking really bad, check your seals. Cam seal and crank seal. Valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket etc.

First try to find out where the leak is coming from. I say its your seals.

Clean your motor up really well with some heavy duty degreaser. Get that thing sparkling clean, then take it for a drive and see exactly where the oil is coming from.

You need to be more specific, too.. Is it coming from the top end? Bottom end? pics?

thank you very much for the suggestions. i may need to get my engine steam-cleaned just this once, because i dunno where the PO stored it but it looks like it sat thru a dust storm with the hood open. i believe the leak is coming from around the oil pan lip, thats the only spot i found wet oil on the engine. it may just be that its dripping oil that was spilled on the engine with the removal of the oil filter during change. im trying to find a coolant leak that i believe is caused by me knocking a line loose during oil filter change. it only leaks coolant after i drive it.

Back