Oil leak

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hondanewbbb

H22a motor, the thing leaks oil like a pig, only when not under pressure? Ripped it apart today, vc gasket, cam seals, all look fine, it leaks right out of the head gasket. However, the cam seals were recently replaced and it could just be leaking behind them (behind the back timing cover). Which do you guys think is more likely? Cam seals or head gasket?
I would normally think head gasket (seeing that its coming RIGHT OUT of that area) but it only leaks when not under pressure, leading me to believe its not.
However: Cam seals dont seem like they would really leak all that much not under pressure either...
What do you guys think?

I don't think I've ever seen a pig leak. . . . .
I agree with blanco, cam seals are much more likely than head gasket, if it was that the head gasket were so bad that it were leaking oil, then you would def have more problems than just oil leaking.

Yeah I just got done replacing the camshaft seal on my motor. I thought it was the head. Cuz it puddled right on the back of the block and was leaking down the cover and coming right out at the back of the head. I replaced the seal and through a balance shaft seal retainer when I was in there. Your situation sounds alot like mine. Easiest thing to do is replace the seal , Clean the motor off and underneath. Let the car idle for 20 minutes and look to see if it is leaking again . My camshaft seal was pretty bad, It puked out the oil , But you could see the oil on the timing cover and Camshaft pulley. The belt had oil on it too . I saw if you didnt see any oil around the pulleys, belts, or timing cover, it just might be the headgasket. Doesnt sound like it but its possible.

I could clean the motor off with Brake cleaner and blast it with compressed air to clean all the wetness away, let the car idle , watched it close and you could see it start pouring out the back of the head right under the timing cover. Very bad leak .

Check to see if the seal is back all the way . When most are bad they tend to get in front of the stopping groove, Causing it to get cut as the cam spins, making it worse.

Been drinking so I might have rammbled , Hope this helped ya .

Back