Oil leakage

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dohcvtec_accord

WRX Sellout
Hey gang,

My girl's 97 Accord has been leaking oil for some time now. We've replaced most seals/gaskets (oil pan, valve cover, spark plug), and it's still leaking.

I think I've narrowed it down to something near the cam gear. It seems to be spitting oil out that side of the head, and it's pooling in a divot on top of the intake manifold (right near the end of it), and it's also working its way into the timing belt cover.

Is this evidence of a bad/leaky cam seal? If it isn't, what else could it be? I'm kinda stumped on this one.

If it's the cam seal, I think we'll be doing her timing belt and water pump at the same time. Oh, what a joy it is to change a timing belt in a Honda with the engine still in the car.

Thanks!

tell me about it...we did a timing belt on a 98 accord a few weeks ago. getting that crank bolt off took 4 200+ lb guys and me bouncing on a 10ft breaker bar (breaker bar and complete jack handle).

Id say its a bad cam seal and youre smart to do the timing belt when you replace that. The cam seal is really all that i can think of.

Well, the reason we're doing the timing belt is that she's at 130k, with no record of when (if ever) the timing belt was replaced. It doesn't show many signs of wear, so I'm guessing it was replaced at some point, but it doesn't hurt to just do it now, if we've got to remove the cam sprocket anyway. Also, the service manual says to replace the belt if it's oil-soaked, and there's also quite a bit of slack in the timing belt. Just seems like a good idea to do it, you know?

Thanks for the input.

Back