oil leaking

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
hey guys, it seems that my oil is leaking from my drain bolt on my oil pan. should i just get a new bolt and washer? i dont think its stripped. any ideas?

sweet ill pic one up next weekend. it doesnt leak bad, but whenever im under it its wet with oil, not draining out though

Yah you have a minor leak! It most likely is coming trough the thread of the bolt1

Have you replaced that crush washer? I find that if I do not replace that washer with every oil change mine leaks a little as well.

haha, ive never replaced it. i guess i should do that, where do i get the bolts and washers from? i would prefer not going to the dealer, since my dealers like to rape me on price and the dealers are very far away. advanced auto is just easier.

no i never thought of that, lol, jk. i tightened it wit a 18" breaker bar (only because i used to get it off, and i didnt feel like getting another wrench) beleive me, if its any tighter i will strip it.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Oct 6 2003, 10:40 PM
www.hondaautomotiveparts.com
They can get you all that you need. They claim to be able to get the Toyo-Roki oil filters. (Part number 15400-PR3-014 )

yea i prefer to actually go somewhere and pick up the part i need the same day rather then online stuff and shipping and all. and what is a toyo roki filter? never heard of it til recently on here. whats so special about them?

Don't tighten it any more unless you want to have to start running an oversized drain plug.

Toyo-Roki makes the oil filters that Honda uses in Japan. I don't think you will find the right crush washer anywhere but a Honda dealer. SO you just get to choose local or internet.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Oct 5 2003, 12:32 PM
hey guys, it seems that my oil is leaking from my drain bolt on my oil pan. should i just get a new bolt and washer? i dont think its stripped. any ideas?

How many miles on that oilpan? I had to replace my oilpan last year at around 220K miles. But for the last 120K miles I was having to use an oversized drainplug. I was getting my oil changes at my dealership, but the oil changing person (a former lotboy) was overtightening the drainplug... so I stopped getting my oil changes there. :(

So if your oil leak is not because of a lack of a fresh crush washer, then you probably have to go to an oversized drainplug.

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal+Oct 7 2003, 12:05 AM-->
@Oct 5 2003, 12:32 PM

How many miles on that oilpan? I had to replace my oilpan last year at around 220K miles. But for the last 120K miles I was having to use an oversized drainplug. I was getting my oil changes at my dealership, but the oil changing person (a former lotboy) was overtightening the drainplug... so I stopped getting my oil changes there. :(

So if your oil leak is not because of a lack of a fresh crush washer, then you probably have to go to an oversized drainplug.

hopefully its just the washer. like i said iven never replaced it, lol

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Oct 7 2003, 01:19 AM
hopefully its just the washer. like i said iven never replaced it, lol

Those crush washers by themselves cost like 50 cents apiece dude. lol. I even keep a few extra ones in my car... :p

Originally posted by lsvtec@Oct 6 2003, 09:15 PM
Have you replaced that crush washer? I find that if I do not replace that washer with every oil change mine leaks a little as well.

You don't need to replace those washers every time you change your oil! :huh: Do you? I have never replaced mine and I have never had an oil leak!

Originally posted by SLA+Oct 7 2003, 06:23 AM-->
@Oct 6 2003, 09:15 PM

You don't need to replace those washers every time you change your oil! :huh: Do you? I have never replaced mine and I have never had an oil leak!

you are supposed to, yes.
i have not replaced mine for 3 oil changes, but i normally change it every time. shit, if you buy your filter from the dealer they usually give you a new washer without even asking, lol

Back