1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil light trouble.

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by H22AdelSol, Jan 4, 2004.

1. H22AdelSol

H22AdelSol Senior Member

Recently when i turn my car on, the light would stay on for about 30 seconds instead of the usual 5sec. It will stay on and then flicker and turn off. Does this sound like an electrical problem or a sensor of some type? would it be wires going from the ecu or a sensor on the block or maybe both. thanks

2. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

first things first, did you check your oil? ;)

3. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

I'd get that looked at.

We had that problem in my step brother's 91 civic dx hatchback. And yeah, 2 weeks after it came on, the engine seized because of a faulty fuel pump.

So yeah, get it looked at.

4. Jeef

Jeef NO MA'AM Moderator VIP

what does the fuel pump have to do with a low oil level and his engine seizing?

5. NoJokE

NoJokE Senior Member

Check your oil mang. Fuel has nothing to do with an engine seizing. You could turn a motor over a billion times with no fuel and it would not seize.

6. H22AdelSol

H22AdelSol Senior Member

hehe i check my oil every other day cause im scared. but it started coming on so i did a oil change and it helped for like 1 start but is back to doing it again! what would happen if the oil pump broke? the light would come on before damaging the engine to much right? i could get a oil pressure guage tho.

7. Accordturbo94

Accordturbo94 Senior Member

If your oil pump went it would sound like crap in your motor! Nothing would be getting lubricated and it would be loud. If it flickers it sounds like a problem with the electrical system! Put your car on ramps or jack stands and look at your oil pressure sensor! It might be below or above you oil filter with a black ruber boot around it and a screw holding the wire on! The wire may be loose... or missing! give it a shot!

8. tab

tab Super Moderator

When I spun a bearing in my F22A1, the oil light flickered. Spinning a bearing causes low oil pressure of course. So, if your oil pressure is bad, it definitely could flicker.

Do not drive the car until this is figured out! A spun bearing usually knocks, or will soon. But low oil pressure could cause you to damage your engine, or spin a bearing. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Does the spun bearing cause low oil pressure, or does low oil pressure cause the spun bearing? Hmmmm.

Test the oil pressure, and go from there.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted