Oil on tips of spark plug wires

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

|Chaz|

VIP
What does it mean when I pull the spark plug wires off of the spark plug and there is oil on the tip of the spark plug wire? It's almost like it's getting blow by past the plugs, the threads on the spark plugs are always oily when I pull them out.

My main questions other than the first one is

How much longer can I drive it like this for?
If I keep driving it like this will it permanently affect my motor?
How much power could I be losing due to this?

it's just the spark plug gaskets. you can drive like this for a while but the gaskets will get worse. i think it's about $18 for a set.

Would this affect gas mileage? Because my gas mileage seems like it has gone done like 5-7 mpg in the last 3 fill-ups.

possibly. pull your plugs, you might have oil on them too. if you do, you wont be getting a good spark and you'll be losing power and just sending gas out your exhaust.

It seems like whenever I pull them they have a little bit of oil on them. Would changing the spark plug gasket fix that? How hard is it to change a spark plug gasket? I'll search my manual for how to do it when I get home later.

I just changed the sparkplug gasket and valve cover gasket on my accord. total cost was $23 and change (from honda) took about 20 min. remove the valve cover completly, remove old gaskets and insert new ones. it's very easy job

If your getting it on your spark plugs i'm gonna have to say change your head gasket, look if there is any leak, even though you do the tube seal, it can still be on your spark plug, while your at it, save a day and get a full top-end gasket kit for about $100 with timing belt and waterpump on ebay. I trusted the gasket I've got and it lasted for 4 years now and still good. Or just wait and see hell's day on the motor. I mean it will last for a while, but not for long....

i dont think its the head gasket.... its more than likely the tube seals.... spend the 30 bucks and get a valve cover kit.. always start with the cheapest thing first to do.. then work from there :)

Back