oil pan gasket question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lil_red_si

okay....so my oil pan gasket went this week and now i need to know sumthin.....do i have to use that rtv sealer stuff on the gasket? because the guy at the counter said i do not need it because the gasket was rubber.....he said the only time i need that stuff was like if the gasket was cork....is this true? wil it leak if i dont use the sealent? help would be appreciated

Quoted post[/post]]
okay....so my oil pan gasket went this week and now i need to know sumthin.....do i have to use that rtv sealer stuff on the gasket? because the guy at the counter said i do not need it because the gasket was rubber.....he said the only time i need that stuff was like if the gasket was cork....is this true? wil it leak if i dont use the sealent? help would be appreciated

Shouldn't, but i would use it anyway to make sure it gets a tight seal

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Shouldn't, but i would use it anyway to make sure it gets a tight seal

wrong. dont use it its absolutely unnecesarry the guy at the counter was right u dont want to use that stuff with a rubber gasket. the only time u might want to is on the corners of e valve cover gasket in order to keep it from falling out when you turn it upside down.

Make sure both surfaces are clean and free from debris. Use a very small dab of sealant in the hard corners around the crank. Torque to spec. DO NOT over-tighten the bolts/nuts. Many people make the mistake of over tightening them to make sure it doesnt leak oil, but what this does is smashes the gasket out of shape and creates leaks.

Torque to spec, call it a day.

Not to mention it is absolutely impossible to get off the pan once it dries. Don't do it.

One thing you might do however, is coat the bolts with a little hondabond. Make sure you allow for dry time before filling with oil and driving, otherwise it's pointless. Don't overtorque the bolts either, or you'll mess up the gasket. My .02

Yeah, I should have stated for that kind of seal i would only do one side/corners as phyregod stated, should be fine without it.

thanks everybody....i put the gasket on this morning without da sealent and torqued em to spec.....filled her with some oil and no more leaks! yay!......ran great today.....even tho its raining and its shitty weather.....at least my car is fixed :p thanks again guys

Back