Oil pressure question.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Justin66

The Hondaswap Canadian
I drove my car on some of the infamous 400 series highways (in Ontario) this weekend to visit my GF at her parents house near Niagara Falls, 250 ish kms one way. Either way it was my first time going that speed for that long in this particular car. At first I always stayed away from excessive highway driving cause i thought the constant high RPM was bad for it. Now i know better lol.

On average i was doing 4000-4300RPM for about 6 hours (b16 tranny lol) doing about 100-120 km/h. I was constantly looking at my oil pressure gauge (aftermarket) and it held a nice 60psi at that rpm the whole way, except once i noticed it went to 70 when i gave it a bit more gas and then it just dropped again to 60 and held while i was still lightly accelerating. I just thought it was weird cause i thought the oil pump was fed off the crank and should stay consistent? Is this anything or am i just nuts?

Yes i realize that but as i was still accelerating it dropped to 60 after hitting 70 briefly. As if it didnt need to be at 70 anymore lol.

it fine really its all got to do with the pressure before and after it starts flowing more oil

The faster the motor spins, the faster it bleeds out the oil; hence maintaining steady pressure.

The system is designed so that there's no unnecessary oil pressure as that'll result in parasitic losses.

Back