Oil Shooting Out Of Blow Off Valve...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tonyd0821

Banned
just got done installing greddy 15g kit into my ek coupe (ex)

we fired it up, let it idle for 20 mins, then revved it up to 5k.
oil SHOT out of the blow off valve....hks ssq blow off vavle....

anyone know why this would happen? defective turbo?

and why didnt the blow off valve sound? when we revved it up, it just blew air out of it, but did NOT make the psssshh. sound when we let off of it....
???

thanks

Dosen't the BOV only sound when you change gears, because of the drastic drop in rpm's? If you just revved it up, and let it drop back to idle, I don't see why it would make a sound.

sounds like your gaskets are shot :(

and your car wont go psht when there is no load on the engine/tranny. you actually have to be MOVING for it to do something.

*sigh* typical ricer ;)

Oil out BOV is BAD. Was the turbo kit used? 'Cause the turbo is fucked.

The seals in the turbo are screzewed.

Originally posted by sisteve@Jun 21 2003, 11:30 PM
sounds like your gaskets are shot :(

and your car wont go psht when there is no load on the engine/tranny. you actually have to be MOVING for it to do something.

*sigh* typical ricer ;)

umm no. this is my first taste of a forced induction. i have been messing with swaps ever since the mid 1990's.
so rice that.

and please refer to my other thread on here...owned by a sohc ex...

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 21 2003, 11:30 PM
BOV relesae boost.

at idel, your car won't make boost because there's no load.
hence, no bov.

I think he said he revved it up to 5k, and got no BOV.

Afipunk- BOV's have to sound when revved up because a BOV is to let the pressure from the turbo OUT when the throttle plate is closed, it also makes a sound when changing gears because you let go of the throttle when shifting.

The abrupt drop in rpms and the closed throttle body make it so the pshhh sound is a lot louder then if you rev it up because when you let off the throttle there still is pressure so it doesn't drop right away as they do when shifting gears.

ya well oil in pipes issue aside....

i was under the impression that the bov WOULD sound if i revved up to 5k and let go really quickly while at idle.

apparantly a few people on here tell me that the bov will only "psssh" while the car is under load (driving)

i had my ear next to the bov before the oil incident when my neighbor revved my engine up to 3k and i felt air coming out, but heard no sound.

and i think the air mighta been coming out when the throttle was being held down....but i cant remember im too stressed right now....

ill know for sure by tomorrow.

thanks for not flaming me !!!!!!! :lol:

Your subaru also has a turbo that's smaller than my penis. :bo:

If you watch the boost gauge on the car when you rev it to 5k, does it make boost? If it's not making boost, it won't blow off, plain and simple. Some cars will make a small squeak out of the BOV when sitting still because the turbo is VERY small for the engine, and it has enough exhaust force to push the wheel in the turbo fast enough to actually make a pressure difference in the intake piping, and the intake manifold when the throttle closes.

OK for starters a BOV will release pressure in neutral! It better release pressure in neutral or else it ain't working correctly. One question I have is what kind of BOV you got? is it adjustable? If so you probably need to adjust the nut on it so it releases pressure right when you need it!
Second oil in your intake pipe is NOT good. That is the first sign of seal/bearing failure of a turbo. If your turbo is new(which I am assuming) it is most likely your ings that are going bad. A new turbo won't blow oil by the seals like that. Not possible unless it is defective! You probably have some bad rings! Do a compression test and a leak down check (incase it is your valve seals yo). But either way oil is not good there!

Originally posted by knowledge@Jun 22 2003, 05:28 AM
OK for starters a BOV will release pressure in neutral!

no, it won't. Not on a honda anyway....

the turbo doesn't hardly SPIN at 5 grand with no load. If it ain't spinning, how is it supposed to make boost?

some dude on honda-tech stuck his finger in the freakin balde to prove this fact. he still has all 10 fingers.
if the turbo isn't spooling, you ain't making boost. simple as that (if you want, i'll try to find the damn thread again...)

---edited out my stupididty :) Thanks Jody

MAF as nothing to do with spooling either. A MAF meter is simply a piece of tubing on the intake piping before the turbo with a thermactor in a tube in it to measure how cool a piece of wire gets from the air moving past it, which tells the ECU how much air the engine is ingesting so it can meter out fuel appropriately. Simple as that.

The only way a healthy sized turbo equipped engine will spool and blow off without a load on it is to pump the throttle. It even works in GT3. If you have a car that will not fully spool up by the time the 3-2-1 counts down, you can pump the gas on the controller, and it will put a load on the engine from the flywheel slowing down and speeding up, and cause the car to reach full boost at the line faster.

If you floor the gas, let off at 3k, let it drop to 2k, floor it again, let off at 4k, let it drop to 3k, floor it til 5k, let off, it WILL most likely blow off. My buddy with an MR2 turbo could get his car to make 12 psi jsut sitting there by doing this method up to his redline... It was interesting... Stupid, but interesting.

Originally posted by knowledge@Jun 22 2003, 04:28 AM
Second oil in your intake pipe is NOT good. That is the first sign of seal/bearing failure of a turbo. If your turbo is new(which I am assuming) it is most likely your ings that are going bad. A new turbo won't blow oil by the seals like that. Not possible unless it is defective! You probably have some bad rings! Do a compression test and a leak down check (incase it is your valve seals yo). But either way oil is not good there!

Ok, about this. It's GOT TO BE THE TURBO SEALS. There is NO way for the oil from the EXHAUST to get into the intake piping, and to the turbo without the oil coming through the turbo seals. That is the ONLY way the exhaust piping and the intake piping come together, is at the turbo, and the oil would still have to magically, mystically pass through a solid metal core to bypass the seals to get fromt eh exhaust ot the intake side. Not gunna happen.

Two things come to mind... compressor side oil seal is bad, or your air filter is very dirty causing the compressor to pull oil through the seal under boost. But since It did this in neutral and you weren't really in boost, I'm going to say that you have bad seals. Another idea is that perhaps you're getting a lot of oil from your crank case breather hose if you attached it to the intake upstream of the compressor?

Other than that, SiR Kid's got it covered. Don't listen to the other chumps. 'Specially B. ;)

Hondas might not Psshhhhtt when u just rev the motor up, but some cars do i.e. my freind who has a GSX, with the HKS BOV that makes the cool ring type sound. it will make the saound when he revs his car up enough. it just depends on how easily you have the BOV adjusted to open up.... you still create some boost when u rev the motor.

you can with a small enough turbo release the blow off valve in neutral. you can even do it with a t3t4.

i used to watch my friend do it all the time in his td04 greddy turbo kit. hell that shit would release pressure in reverse. and the bov was tighened properly.

with a small enough turbo the compressor wheel will be spinning constantly at idle so if you were to rev it up specially to 5k you would here a little squeak from the bov.

and on the other hand, the seals could be blown on the turbo, did you prelube the turbo before you put it in?

i guess it could be blown rings also. when i blew my first set of rings the oil blowby was coming from everywhere, smoke from pvc breather valve, blow off valve and so on.

you can with almost any turbo on a honda make the BOV go but you have to rev the piss outta it to get it to build pressure

and BTW your blow off valve has NOTHING TO DO WITH RPM DROP

your turbo spins up starts to force air into the intake then as soon as you close the throttle all that air has to go somewhere it either A. with out a bov goes back to the turbo or B. goes out the BOV

you can put the car in 2nd gear rev it up to 6K and let off the gas for a split sec and the BOC will sound if its making boost even if your RPMS don't drop I can hold my car at one RPM and just play with the throttle to make the BOV go off

BTW my bov will not sound while sitting still unless you rev it for atlest a sec or two so it can build boost but if you just blip the throttle it wont sound

Call the company who did the turbo up and get a new one or atlest check the turbo out for excessive play "grab the shift and whobble it around there should be very little play also make sure the blades spin freely

Back