Oil Smoke

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

spydy43

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is an easy way to tell if the smoke is coming from bad valve seals or if it is coming from the piston rings. What happens is when im driving normally and let the motor rev up to 5500rpm slowly a cloud of smoke starts coming out real bad from the exhaust. It only does this when I do slowly lay into the gas and get it that rpm. If im running on boost or normal driving everything is fine. Can anyone tell me what might be going on and how to check? I did a leak down and compression test and the numbers were all ok. I have a 96 civic ex with wiesco 9.0:1 pistons, scat rods, a t3 super 60 turbo and a stock head.

If you did a compression test and it came back positive, then I don't think it could be rings. I'm actually not sure what a leak down test is so I can't help you there. You do know that if the turbo is "leaking" that it could draw oil into the combustion chamber.

Paul

Ignore that if it's wrong, my idiot friend again. At least he put his name on it this time. I don't know why he doesnt just sign up for himself.

I personally don't know what to tell you to do, but I guess what he said may be logical if there was a bad seal in the turbo.

if your leak down came back ok, then your rings are ok. however, a leakdown nor compression test will tell you the condition of your valve stem seals, that is where you could be having your problem

Back