ok please help ecu and harness connection issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tvsethi

moz-screenshot.jpg
ok first i wanna thank blanco and yblegal1605 both are so far one of the best two guys i have seen on this forum, PIMPSSSSS thanks lol ok now the issue i did a swap from an d16y8 to a b16a2 both obd 2 into my 97 civic ex here is my issue, supposedly i am supposed to use my d16 harness for the b16 motor, with a few mods, extend the o2 sensor wire because the harness wraps around now and the o2 sensor is in the rear, also extend two other wires which i dont recall which they were but anyways you will see when they dont reach the sensors, next do the bipass trick to the area where the d16 harness plugs to the ecu, this trick is to solder 2 items totalling in 4 total wires but endind in just 2, this eliminates the need for the crank fluctuation sensor because although it is in the same place of the motor they are TOTALLY different plugs from the dangling d16 sensor plug, next plug it into the b16 ecu here is my problem i have a total of 4 ecu plugs from the d16 harness and the b16 harness only has 3 ecu plugs, we plugged the d16 ecu in and i drove it today, it drove ok but gave me a resistance issue occasionally but it felt more in the lines of stopped up cat back, my friend says that if i plugged in the 3 wires into the b16 ecu and left the 4th plug dangling that it will only affect the rpm gauge function and just wouldnt have a tac, but i need a tac take a look at these pictures and pleaseeee help me out.
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p12/sethisethiboy1/problemwharnesses.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p12/sethisethiboy1/Problemwithb16ecu.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p12/sethisethiboy1/d16ecuissue.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p12/sethisethiboy1/problemwharnesses2.jpg

moz-screenshot-1.jpg
moz-screenshot-2.jpg

so because everyone is telling me i need to use the b16 ecu on this d16 harness i decided to try it this morning and just leaving the one wire all by it self and the car wouldnt turn over !!!

Answerr!!!!

wow not one reply i searched for hours and hours but i found the answer on another forum for anyone else to view i want it eisily found caz this guy is my savior although i still dont have what i need i will know exactly what to look for ......

Here I've gathered up all legitimate EK wiring information on frequent wiring issues people have when performing an OBD2 B-series engine swap into 96-00 EK civics:
96-98/OBD2a CIVIC CX/DX/LX/EX WIRING INFO
1) If reusing a CX/DX/LX engine wire harness you will have to perform these wiring mods to this harness:
a) add wiring for the VTEC Solenoid (VTS) & VTEC Pressure Switch (VTPS)
b) perform the IACV mod
c) add wiring for the Knock Sensor (KS) - IF - using an OBD2 DOHC VTEC ecu or non-reprogrammed OBD1 DOHC VTEC ecu
d) possibly extend the 2nd 02 wiring (if you're using a US OBD2 B-series ecu)
e) perform the OBD2a CKF mod - click HERE
Before, I mentioned to swap the CKF plug over to an integra CKF plug, but this wiring trick is much easier to do.

2) 96-98 Civic users can use a 5-speed 96-98 EX engine harness to complete their engine swap if they do not want to perform the mods listed in #1, with exception to #D & #E. The 5spd* EX harness has all of the A-C mods integrated from the factory. The only downsides is that you will have to wire in the 2nd 02 sensor manually if using a US OBD2 DOHC VTEC ecu. Using a 5spd EX harness is virtually plug n' play with the exception to extend a few wires and perform the CKF mod (#E).
*Using a 5spd EX harnesses will greatly cut back on performing most of the wiring mods listed. Make sure you get a 5spd EX harness and not an AUTO EX harness! The EX AUTO harness is designed differently than the 5spd EX harness; you will run into obscure issues with an auto EX harness, that I have yet to figure out.
NOTE: You CANNOT use an OBD2 integra engine wire harness in any 96-00 civic because of its 2-piece design. EK civics all use a 1-piece design engine wire harness making it impossible to use an integra engine wire harness in an EK chassis.
3) OBD2a wiring information/diagrams can be found on my technet site here, under the wiring section:
.:FFS TechNet:.
4) If you plan to use a 99-00 Civic or 00-01 integra ecu into a 96-98 EK civic, you will NEED a OBD2a->OBD2b jumper harness adaptor. Reaonsbeing is that OBD2a & OBD2b ecu plugs differ and are incompatible with each other. A handful of people sell this type of ecu jumper here, including me.
----------------------------------------
99-00/OBD2b CIVIC CX/DX/LX/EX WIRING INFO
1) Same wiring info as OBD2a in regards to using a CX/DX/LX/EX engine wire harness, but respective to OBD2b ecu pin out locations.
1b) Honda changed to a smaller distributor(dizzy) plug on all 99-00 EK Civics (CX/DX/LX/EX/ except Si model. This smaller dizzy plug is incompatible with OBD2 B-series distributors. You will have to either change change over to an Si dizzy plug, 96-98 civic dizzy plug, or 96-01 Integra dizzy plug in order to be compatible with a OBD2a/b B-series distributor.
Some images to help understand...
96-98 civic / 96-01 integra dizzy 'big' style dizzy plug:
F2001129970OEA.JPG

99-00 civic small style dizzy plug:
F2001135149OEA.JPG

2) OBD2b EK non-VTEC civic owners have an optional choice of using a 99-00 Si or EX engine harnesses (5spd). Again, there is no need for you to add VTEC wiring or perform the IACV fix because like a 96-98 EX harness, its already pre-done from the factory on the OBD2b Si / EX harnesses. The CKF info remains the same for the EX harness. The differences between an OBD2b Si and EX harness is the distributor plug and CKF plug - Si uses a B-series dizzy & CKF plug.
One issue that might arise is the 2nd 02 sensor if using an Si coupe engine harness. You will have to manually wire in the 2nd 02 because the Si engine harness only has the primary 02 sensor integrated into it. The 2nd 02 is part of the cabin harness on Si coupes & I think 99-00 EX coupe's as well (correct me if I'm wrong).
3) If you want to use a US 00-01 integra ecu in your 99-00 civic, you need to have the Immobilizer removed from the integra ecu or else your civic will not start. Also, when using a US 00-01 Integra ecu w/removed IMMobilzer, the fuel pump pinout "A16" needs to be moved to over on slot to "A15", in order for your EK to start (fuel pump pin location differs between OBD2b civic & integras). You only need to perform this pin change if using an 00-01 US integra ecu's in a 99-00 civic. If you plan to use an Si coupe ECU, there is NO NEED to perform this pin swap because Si coupe ecu's do not have an IMMobilizer, nor does any 99-00 civic ecu, only 00-01 integra ecu's do. Don't forget that if you ever switch back from using a US 00-01 integra ecu to an Si coupe ecu, switch the A15 pin back to A16!!!
4) 3) OBD2b wiring information/diagrams can be found on my technet site here, under the wiring section:
.:FFS TechNet:.

Code 91 Issues - pertains to both OBD2a & OBD2b vehicles
There's a MIL code (91) that some of you might get. This is for the fuel tank pressure sensor or "PTANK" as honda labels it. This happens when using a US OBD2 integra ecu in an EK civic, but it's also chassis specific related - as in some civics have this PTANK sensor while other's don't. There are a few fixes for this annoying code and you can read my article about it here:
.:FFS TechNet : OBD2 Code 91 Issue & Fix :.

a bro i was wondering if you can answer something for me..i did the swap on my 97 ex and im re pining my wires for the si ecu is that what u did or did u just buy the jumper harness?? let me know plez trying hard to have the car up and running ASAP well thanks bro

ok so i swaped aa 99 y7 in my 98 civic cx and used my 98 harness and ecu and da car wont start what did i do wrong ? do i need a jumper harness

Back