Old car smell...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

khrisb

Why do old cars smell so funny?
I was in my 88 civic today and it smelled weird.
Is it just old glue or what?
There is nothing in the car, it's stripped out.
I don't think its the seats or anything.
Does anybody know?
Thanks
Chris :shrug2:

you step in something??? I have an 89 hatch and it does not smell at all... the only time, it does is from the outside when you get out, and that is because the car was purchased on the east coast and the manufacturer put a tar coating on the bottom of the car to prevent rust from salted roads in the winter. Even then the car still does not smell that bad..

its an 88 that means for the last 15 years people have been blowing ass in that seat.... thats a lot of farting
i would immagine that could build up to quite a smell after a while

:werd: Over just the short 7 months I have owned my car the smell has changed drastically, just over the blowing ass of me and my friends, but thank god for the little air freshners that go in front of the vents.

I dunno.
It just smells kinda old.
Nobody else has ever smelled this?
And it's not my upper lip, or my shoes.
Smartasses!
And don't label me another one of the :fr:

?

Mold
Mildew
Fart capacitance
Rotting foam
More farts
Back seat "adventure" leftovers

Could be anything... a car built in 88 has been through a lot of abuse.

Ok, this isn't Hondaswap Automotive Detailing--we help with a lot of things, but come on, stop pissing off your friends and they will stop shitting in the back seat. Or maybe it's becuase you shit your pants when an automatic Ford Taurus or Geo Prizm blows by you. Get some Febreze Auto and this thread is out like Rosie O'Donnell.

There is no backseat.
We hosed out the inside and I bought a bottle of febreeze.
I don't even drive the car on the road. (Isn't registered quite yet)
:tisk:

Worse comes to worse, i would suggest putting butt loads of incense and lighting them in the car for a few days like once they run out put more in, then after that let it air out for like 2 days with doors and windows open, etc. It should get rid of the smell. I did tha tin the living room when our leather couch smelt like old smoke when our old house burnt down and the couch had smoke damage.

U sure no serial killer had the car before you and forgot a piece of ass in the dash somewhere? JK :) The only thing I could think of logically, is maybe the heater core went bad and leaked sometimes in the past and collected mildews on the foam inside the dash. Maybe someone's pet mouse ran in there and died. It's a bitch, but if you're planning on keeping that rice *%!@ then pull that dash out bro!

Originally posted by khrisb@Jun 24 2003, 03:19 PM
Why do old cars smell so funny?
I was in my 88 civic today and it smelled weird.
Is it just old glue or what?
There is nothing in the car, it's stripped out.
I don't think its the seats or anything.
Does anybody know?
Thanks
Chris :shrug2:

it could be any of the above mentioned, or the previous owners just not bothering to vacuum and clean the inside very often. i have an 89 crx and it doesnt smell at all.

rent a carpet cleaner and rid you seat of those 15 year old fart particles, then get some clorox wipes(they're like babywipes only with clorox) and wipe down all of the bare metal in your interior, I don't know if it will stain plastic so I'm not recommending using them on plastic. Then get some fabric softener sheets and tape a couple on your a/c motor housing where the recirculation vent is and run you a/c on recirculate for a couple days. No more smelly car, now it will smell like a botanical garden. My car started smelling really bad because it rained in it a couple times and I never sucked the water out, so I just removed the carpet and it smells normal again, i.e. it smells like exhaust fumes and cigarette smoke.

Word to the wise; never under any circumstances lose a half eaten burrito supremo under the seat during the hottest months of the year.

Back