1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old man replacing struts on 97 civic ex

Discussion in 'Wheels / Suspension / Tires / Brakes' started by Alans97, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Alans97

Alans97 New Member

Now that the oil leak is fixed I want to replace the struts. It seems pretty straight forward but 1 question. Do I need a spring compressor to remove the struts from the car or just to remove the springs from the struts after they are off the car?

2. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

just to remove the springs from the struts.. the spring/strut should come out as one piece..

3. get_nick

get_nick These snozzberries taste like snozzberries... VIP

try to get air tools if you can. suspensions sucks to do by hand.

4. Alans97

Alans97 New Member

Thank you for your replies. I have air tools and a roll around tool box...just no experience working on newer japan-type cars.

5. get_nick

get_nick These snozzberries taste like snozzberries... VIP

cool. hondas are pretty easy to work on. if some of the members here can do it, i'm sure you can to. ^_^

6. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

You can get the springs off the shocks fairly safely without a spring compressor, but if you're going to use the stock length springs again, you'll need a compressor to reinstall them. Most lowering springs will be short enough that you won't need a compressor to get the top hat on, but the stock springs are too long.

7. Spyderturbo

Spyderturbo Senior Member

yea, exactly what he said :D you sound as though you are competent around cars and this should pose no problem to you, but if you are re-using the stock springs you will need to compress those stock springs, they uncoil to like a good 3" + over the top hat bolt if memory serves me correct. You should drop it while you are replacing the struts, just make sure you get decent springs, like eibachs, or Neuspeed, or H&R. Tein H-techs are decent too, the ride does not get too harsh on the independent suspension Civic. You will need to re-align the car either way so why not? You can pick up decent used springs cheap...

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted