1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old School Type-R

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> ED-EF / DA' started by ef9civicgen4, Aug 12, 2003.

1. ef9civicgen4

ef9civicgen4 Senior Member

Alright i know some of you are going to say "WHY?" but it's all that i have to work with. I want to convert an 89' Civic Dx into a realistic Type-R.

Starting with the engine.
    It's a B16A1(sorry i dont have the money to pay for a B16B)
    CTR or ITR internals in the head.
    Garett Complete Turbo Kit fromTurbo Discounters
    Eventually resleeve the block, new pistons and rods. so i can turn the boost up to at least 12psi. I'll also upgrade the the manifold, fuel rail, injectors. Put it this way I have the engine under control.

Exterior.
    Champ. White Paint
    OEM sytle Carbon Fiber Hood
    CTR wheels
    REAL Type-R Badging
    Now the tough part. The body styling on the EF's are pretty bad. So I know i'm saying the forbidden words, but i'm thinking of the Wings West Body Kit. Now before you go ape shit on me. The WW Kit keeps with in slightly box-like lines of the car. It's not some flared of P.O.S. I have found CF lip that fits an SiR front bumper but what about the rest of the car? Plus the site is japanese and i don't know if they will ship to the states.

Interior.
    CTR or ITR Recaro seats
    SiR gauges
    Brushed Metal Interior Kit
    Type-R shift knob, e-brake handle, floor mats.
    Matching red felt on the door caps.
    Yet another difficulty. my interior is a slate blue color. the type-r is a charcoal gray with black, and the roof is a light gray or silver. now does anyone have suggestions on how to change these things.

i have no idea about what to do with the suspension. so i need suggestions on that or anything i've missed. your help is greatly appreciated. sorry it was so long.

2. HondaMoCo

HondaMoCo Senior Member

im planning on doing the same thing with my EG, but im not gonna sport any
    Type-R badging simply because there was no type R in the EG chassis, so im going to make it as close as possible to a Type-R set up, but call it an EG with a Type-R theme ;)

3. tedwright

tedwright Senior Member

IMO loose the type r badging and floor mats, ect. your engine set up sounds like it will be killer. what tranny are you going to be using?? make sure you get a good clutch. as for the interior, that is gonna be probably more trouble than it is worth, but its your car and if you are determined enough to do it, then more power to you. where are you located? there is a very very rough hatch around here that doesnt run but im pretty sure it has a black interior. I think the guy wants l ike 75 bucks for it or something.

4. ef9civicgen4

not to sure about the tranny. lightened flywheel, something with lsd, stage 2 clutch, somthing i can still drive around town without too much trouble.

i'm located in independence missouri (sub. of Kansas City) that other hatch doesn't sound like a bad idea. if you could get some picture i'll think about it.

5. word

word Senior Member

you should go for a championship white SiR instead of a type R. also, b16 cams are good for turbo, no need for the R cams since you're going turbo or planning to.

I like the type r interior but it doesn't have to be red. You could swap an integra dash or a ek dash in your car though. it'll feel like a real type r from the inside...... :D :lol:

if you want to use type r rims you'll have to get 5 lug conversion, or the earlier larger 4 lugs. Enkei makes type r look a like rims i believe, but 5 lug > 4 lug so IMO it's worth it.

The more I look at the EF's the better they look. There are some CLEAN looking ones out there, I think their lines are not that bad if you add little things to it and color match the side moldings.

6. lsvtec

lsvtec GNU/Linux Evangelist

That engine build sounds good, but skip all the Type R stuff. You are going to spend more on this "conversion" than it would cost you to go buy a used ITR. Besides, there is far more to a Type R than the engine/transmission. If it didn't come from the factory wearing R badges, it will never be an R. It seems silly to spend all that money making your car look like an R.

7. ef9civicgen4

If i do everything i want to my car would be better than a real R. Plus type-r is what people associate with a fast honda. if someone challenges me i'll slam em' through the pavement. plus all the type-r stuff will come after i put my car into the 13's. It also might help getting my car into the pages of a mag if i go type-r.

8. lsvtec

lsvtec GNU/Linux Evangelist

to each thier own, I think all the cosmetic changes to make it "look" like an R would be a waste.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted