1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OMG THIS SUCKS!

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by CiViC_SOHC, Jul 20, 2005.

1. CiViC_SOHC

CiViC_SOHC Senior Member

first off I know this is the wrong forum but I can't post a new topic in the general tech so....ok I was driving along and I was going to shift into 4th gear...and I hear a chain pop off and make a clank noice...I can move my shifter freely!!! MY SHIFT LINKAGE CAME OUT I THINK! this sucks! I was able to move my shifter sideways while in gear for some time now and I just thought it was shifter stablizer gone bad...nope my shift linkage broke...I need some help now...I need to know where I can get one and rougly how much they cost becuase im on a VERY tight budget!!! help me!!! I have a D16Y7 in a 1992 civic 4dr LX thanks in advance!

2. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

The first issue I'd pursue would be why did you have a chain holding your linkage on?

Do you have an aftermarket short shifter? The first thing that I would assume happened would be that the bolt that holds the gear selector bar onto the bottom of the shifter came off. I highly, highly doubt that you snapped your linkage.

Have you gotten under the car and looked at it?

3. CiViC_SOHC

CiViC_SOHC Senior Member

I don't have a jack that can fit under my car...its at the shop I do all my work on my car...and yes I have aftermarket I think!! the guy that sold me the car said I did...but it looks stock..umm I was in there loosening the bolts trying to take it apart today but I coulda swore I tightened them back up..they weren't coming out so I said screw it becuase I was trying to install my shifter stabilizer...I thought I heard a chain come off my car though...

4. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

Yeah. Pretty sure that bolt just fell out, dude. There's no chain on your shift linkage.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet money that the bolt just fell out.

5. CiViC_SOHC

CiViC_SOHC Senior Member

ya but all there is...is 2 bolts on the shifter like below it...and I tried to loosen them but they weren't loosening and then they wouldn't tighten...so I mean I can't get my hand down there becuase the frame has a little circle around the shifter...I can see if those bolts tighten but that won't fix it will it?

6. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

It's on the underside of the car, bro. You won't be able to get to it from inside the car.

Get a jack and some jackstands, put the car up on jackstands, and get under there.

7. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

[​IMG]

the red is the bolt that more than likely fell out.

8. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Senior Member

The pin that connects the SL to the tranny could have fallen out too. That happened to my car once :doh:

9. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

look under your car and see if either of the rods are hanging down, and if so, from where

10. 92civicb18b1

92civicb18b1 The Trisexual

happened to me too. it was my fault. I just wanted to drive it, so I just loosely tighten one of the bolts on the mount/bushing thing. It fell off after 3rd gear.

11. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

yea, there go. that's the easiest route, no?

12. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

This diserves a pic of the year nomination. Yeah, im with everyone else in saying your bolt probably fell out. i think youll be okay.

13. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

Your bitch pin FELL out??? WTF?!?!?! You could hang 30 tons of raw steel from one of those bitches and it wouldn't budge!

ANYWAY...

there are no chains.

buy a 2"x6"x8' (yeah, a chunko wood) Cut it into two foot sections. You should have 4 pieces of wood. Put two pieces, stacked, in front of each tire. Pull up on the wood. Now your shitty jack will fit under your car.

14. MikeBergy

MikeBergy Blah blah blah....

Lmao, I was thinking the same thing the last time I read that. I hate that little spring pin, POS never would come out on my rig. I have pulled the b18 twice, and that is the worst part of doing the job IMO. Added 20 minutes to my total of 2 hours that I spent completely removing the engine and tearing down the block, and pulling the crank.

15. CiViC_SOHC

CiViC_SOHC Senior Member

ya it was that bolt I got it lol sorry for the late update...and I just borrowed my friends racing jack...fit right under my car hehe! thanks for all the input guys

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted