One 12" Sub??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

You're welcome Tommy. I'm an engineer, so I'm always looking at things like construction, materials selection, stiffness/mass of cone, cooling etc...

Audio ricers = Woooooo that Audiobahn has a cool looking flame basket. I'm going to mount it backwards in my box so everyone can see it and feed it 2000 watts from a really dirty amp. It'll sound like a fart, but it'll be really bumpin loud y0 so nobody will care!

<_<

LOL... MY BAD.... I WAS @ WORK WHEN I WAS RESPONDING...(MY MIND WAS NOT ALL THERE)... I'll get the subs soon and get them posted up on the site when i get them.. Once again thanx....

JAZZY19 :D

I'm not sayin i know everything about car audio stuff..but i do know the basics and maybe alittle more but from experience if u have a kenwood amp ive noticed that kenwood amps sound better with kenwood speakers...which almost goes for every other brand....id personally recommend that u get the same brand speakers as the amp and get a decent wiring kit too cause they do make a difference

Originally posted by imprtrcng30@Sep 28 2004, 05:32 PM
kenwood amps sound better with kenwood speakers...which almost goes for every other brand....id personally recommend that u get the same brand speakers as the amp
[post=395903]Quoted post[/post]​

That makes absolutely no sense. I cite the placebo effect.

its not that fact that its a kenwood sub and amp but the resitance of all subs can vary

Considering resistance has nearly the smallest affect on a drivers ability to reproduce frequencies...these statements are laughable at best.

Originally posted by TommyTheCat@Sep 30 2004, 12:14 AM
Considering resistance has nearly the smallest affect on a drivers ability to reproduce frequencies...these statements are laughable at best.
[post=396566]Quoted post[/post]​

impedance=2*pi*frequency*(inductance of the coil)

Meaning the resistance varies with frequency. The 4 ohm the speaker says is just the dc resistance. ie 0 Hz where the sub does not move. The impedance is an imaginary resistance number created by the magnetic feild of the coil and is actully an imanginary number if you calculate it.
Wattage and sensitivity have the largest effect on a speakers volume, you need both of those numbers to get a loud number. A high wattage and low sensitivity will still make a quiet speaker.
There are so many variables as to what makes a speaker sound good, just to name a few, the car, the box, the speaker, cone material, surround material (foam around speaker), box material, box size, box type, magnet the list goes on.
Best thing to do, test the speakers out in the store for yourself and see which ones are the best $100 value. Buy it online if you think its too expensive there.

#1 Someone close this thread

#2 The "resistance" figure as you call it is actually the nominal impedance = average. Not the electrical resistance.

#3 Impedance is imaginary? C'mon...

#4 "There are so many variables as to what makes a speaker sound good, just to name a few...cone material, surround material (foam around speaker), box material..."

Um..these are quite misleading, material and construction is what matters. There is no perfect choice of material.

#5 Don't test the speakers in the stores, you have no idea what kind of stuff they're doing. (ie the bestbuy wall of speakers, yuck)

Last but not least: Impedance = sqrt(R^2 + (xl-xc)^2) , xl = 2p*freq*L and xc = 1/(2pi*freq*C)

Impedance IS an imaginary number, calculate it out. Its based on the magnetic field of the coil, NOT the resistance of the wire, hence why it is not called impedance, NOT resistance.
Impedance = sqrt(R^2 + (xl-xc)^2) is the equation you use to find total impedance in a circuit using a capacitor, inductor and a resistor. A resistor has a REAL resistance and is not imaginary, a capacitor and inductor has imaginary resistance called impedance. Resistance uses the symbol R impedance uses the symbol Z, there is a reason they uses separate designations.
A cap is not physically connected whatsoever between the two leads. It is two plates separtated by a dialetric. There has to be a connection between the plates for there to be resistance. Sure a peice of wire, the coil in an inductor has resistance to dc current, but not to AC current, with AC current, the opposing magnetic feilds in the wire creates a resistance of its own. A coil has some capacitance, but at low frequencies its very small. Hence Xc=1/2*pi*frequency*farad if you calculate that for say 80Hz, a low frequency, the value of the cap will be high in resistance, at a high frequency say 20kHz the cap will have a low resistance. Two opposing wires separated by a dialetric, which can be air, can be a capacitor including a speaker coil. So if there is so little capacitance in the coil, the sqrt(R^2 + (xl-xc)^2) equation doesn't really make much of a difference, you might as well omitt it, its such a small number in that case.

The equation for impedance in a coil is:

Z=j*(omega)*L

Z=impedance
j=an engineering notation for the square root of -1 (AN IMAGINARY NUMBER), a lower case letter, so it is not mixed up with J or joules.
omega=which is time OR 2*pi*frequency
L=the inductance of a coil

Calculate it out, and YES you need a calculator that can do imaginary numbers, probably a scientific calculator.

I KNOW my electronics.

Since a speaker has a resistance, it has to be considered. That is where the formula comes in. (p.s. no $!%^ they're not the same, r =/= z)

So impedance is imaginary. So can it be measured? Does it affect anything? My whole point is: impedance matters. To say it's imaginary does us no good, because it has to be dealt with.

No, resistance in most cases does not matter. You want to use impedance because it is based on frequency. When do you play a sub at 0Hz, which is dc, no ac amplifier does, most amps don't go below 20-25Hz and if they could most people cannot hear it below 25Hz anyway (unless they have really good ears). They make dc amplifiers, but as the name implies they amplify dc or 0Hz. The impedance of a circuit makes a difference for different reasons. It puts more of a load on an amp every time it is decreased. It is also inversely proportional to current, meaning resistance goes down current goes up. The magnetic field around a wire is also proportional to the current going through a wire. So the more current that you, draw the stronger the magnetic field. Resistance goes down the magnetic field goes up, and there is more push against the magnet. Voltage in a given amplifier circuit usually stays the same say 30-40 Volt range for an average size. Wattage is the product of current and voltage, so the more current you draw the higher the wattage. So long as the amplifier can supply it, or, how long it can supply it for.

My 100 or so car audio system installs would tell me that Kenwood is crap! That is unless your using just their component mids or highs 4 channel amps. For subs or serious bass, nope theres no hope. Power = class D, Mtx mono block good, Fosgate Good and hell even sony has a class D amp that hits hard and it's the cheapest of them. Just dont get a pioneer, kenwood, jbl, or sony amp for subs. remember that if you get a 500w rms sub you need a big amp to match or else it wont have enough power and sound like shiz. If you have small amp you'll get the best sound out of smaller sub to match power. If I was you I would just go buy the biggest amp I could afford and then turn down the amp bass and gain controls so that it dont blow or distort your sub.

If your looking for a good sub go with a MTX5500. its a comp sub so there great. Me personaly I went with 3 JL W6's. I cant hear my engine even if i redline it. God I love bass!

I run a single 12W3 with a JL 250/1 in my Daily Driver and love the sound of the little setup with a Vented Enclosure.

Along with this headunit.. Eclipse AV5101..

lancer02.jpg

I have one alpine type r with an old sony 760 amp i had around the house and my brandspanking new Kenwood KDC-MP625 mp3 deck as of last night :D
6254947_sa.jpg

af_1_b.JPG

And the sound is crisp and clear all the way threw.

Alpine Type-R's are very good subs for the money. I myself have two 12's that I got off eBay for $210, powered by a Audiobahn 800 watt amp. To all you Audiobahn haters out there, for the money (I'm talking wholesale prices), their amps are well worth it. If you want raw power and don't want a big dent in your wallet, along with some beautiful chrome and blue eye candy, Audiobahn is the way to go. Where else can you find 1200x2 RMS @ 1 Ohm for under $500? The only real thing I depise about them is their ugly ass logo. I'm a graphic artist and that has to be one of the worst logo's for an audio company that I've ever seen. They need to have JL Audio or Rockford Fosgate's graphic designers make them a new logo.

Back