One Bad Thing After Another

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Apr 20 2003, 03:32 PM
how and where would i check thaat?

to check your wheel bearings, jack up your car off the ground and try to wiggle the wheel back and forth, there should be NO play, if there is, your bearing is shot.

what do you mean by play? i know i did that the other day and i could hear the gears moving in the tranny, but i dont know what you mean by play and if it is the bearing how hard/expensive is it to replace?

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Apr 20 2003, 04:29 PM
what do you mean by play? i know i did that the other day and i could hear the gears moving in the tranny, but i dont know what you mean by play and if it is the bearing how hard/expensive is it to replace?

play, as in you can move the wheel back and forth. it should not be able to move at all.

i thought it was only supposed to not move if you had lsd? and that it should move if you didnt have lsd. i can turn the wheel and all i hear is the tranny gears moving inside.

Originally posted by Blanco@Apr 20 2003, 10:45 PM
No, not rotating. Try to picture this, you've got your car jacked up and you're squated down facing your drivers side wheel. Grab it at 3 and 9 (o'clock) and pull one hand toward you, then the other. If it moves like that, then it has play.

so it should be able to rotate, just not move like im turning the steering wheel? well i know when i did thaat once it made the steering wheel move but are you talking about when it moves and the steering wheel doesnt move, then thats play right?

ok i had a friend of mine who is a mechanic check it out. he said its definitley not the wheel bearing and when we took it out so he could listen to it, he said he had never heard anything like that. when we got back, he jacked it up and checked stuff out. he said the cv joint had some play in it but it wasnt bad. i told him about the trany fluid and he said that that is a possibility, and he said that it also could be a bearing in the tranny.

i told him what you guys said about if it was the fluid it would make the noise in all gears, but he said that the upper gears dont take as much stress and pull as the first few do, so thats why i might only hear it in 1st and 2nd.

anyone else wanna try to make a guess. im adding more fluid soon, but i just need some. from what i hear, its best to only use honda MTF, how much is that stuff and where do i get it from? thanks all.

not sure how much but best to buy from the dealership I have heard.

depends how low you are, the tranny holds 2 qts total, and yes, get it from the honda dealer

yeah, it can use regular motor oil but that is if you want to fudangle shit. My brother, and 2 of his good buddies(all with 4th gen hb's) work at jiffy lube and are certified to change it and it won't void the warranty or do any quick damage, but the problem is, that from the show room floor, honda's don't use motor oil, so changing from actual oem honda tranny fluid, to quaker state, can sure fuck shit up in the long run. A few other people on this board have had trouble with using motor oil in the tranny.

Back