Online Car Shopping

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

raikjdm

Ok. My friend wants to buy a car but the downfall is that it is over 600 miles away. He also has no time fly there and check it out himself. So how should he proceed to this problem? How does this all work? How about the title of the car? Not buying the car is not an option.

-Thanks.

Look elsewhere. I only look at cars that are no more then 50 miles away unless it is in the same direction im heading when I head out of town so I can go look at it. Im looking at a honda right now that is in toledo and it is more then 50 miles but im headin out that way soon anyways so im looking at all the pix and conversing with the guy online before I even think about looking at it.

Last edited:
In WI is kinda rare to find one thats clean looking and up to your likings too. Like one of my friend fly to Georgia just to pick up a Supra.

has your friend tried craigslist?

If you are very good at building cars. I mean if your friend is very good at building cars maybe a local salvage would have something salvagable. Good way to find classic cars. Are there many imports locally?

try to find someone local to it on one of the forums to go check it out.

where is the car?

Ok. My friend wants to buy a car but the downfall is that it is over 600 miles away. He also has no time fly there and check it out himself. So how should he proceed to this problem? How does this all work? How about the title of the car? Not buying the car is not an option.

-Thanks.

I have purchased several vehicles that were hundreds of miles away. Don't drop a deposit. Ask A LOT of questions, get a lot of pics.. If its too good to be true, it is.. Arrange a pick up day with the buyer and fly down there with cash in hand.. If you don't like what you see or find some facet of the deal that you aren't happy with, walk away. I've done that a few times as well.

He knows a lot but he is attending college and working 2 jobs. Not to much time to work on cars. There is some but not what he is looking for. The ones found on craigslist was built with body kits. He just want a stock look. He just ask if I knew how to do online transactions and how to get it deliver to his house? But, I've never deal with buying a car from people on forums. So if anyone ever bought one from people on a forum it would be helpful.

Ah, no.. I wouldn't purchase a used car and have it delivered before I ever got to lay eyes on it and get to touch it. Tell him to pass.

...especially one owned by a ricer with a body kit

Where were you two years ago? I bought a set of S13's and the owners would not let me test drive and the bill of sale was marked "as is no warranties". I bought the cars and drove home. The same night I went to start it up and found out it had a thrown rod under the manifold. I had the other one with nothing but the block in it so i had to rebuild and ended up investing another 2k into the motor. Rods, Pistons, Rings, Bearings, everything was shot. Yet it looked like a decent motor when i seen the pictures. Just like you said it. If it's to good to be true, it is...

Or maybe....if he can wait till spring break and use that opportunity to fly down there.

i'm proof that you don't always get screwed, i guess. i'm also proof that people can do dumb stuff, too. :D

i bought my current rex on ebay, based on the listing details, pics, carfax, and convo with the guy. i flew in, drove it 12 hours home.

:shrug2:

i'm proof that you don't always get screwed, i guess. i'm also proof that people can do dumb stuff, too. :D

i bought my current rex on ebay, based on the listing details, pics, carfax, and convo with the guy. i flew in, drove it 12 hours home.

:shrug2:

I have done the exact same thing.. Thing is, you saw it before you took delivery. This guy is going to buy it and have it shipped to his house. The car will be bought, paid for, and transferred before he ever actually sees it with his own eyes.

I have done the exact same thing.. Thing is, you saw it before you took delivery. This guy is going to buy it and have it shipped to his house. The car will be bought, paid for, and transferred before he ever actually sees it with his own eyes.

true that - it didn't really occur to me until reading this thread (1.5 years after purchase) that the whole scenario could have gone terribly wrong and i'd have had to buy a return flight ticket....:D

true that - it didn't really occur to me until reading this thread (1.5 years after purchase) that the whole scenario could have gone terribly wrong and i'd have had to buy a return flight ticket....:D

You just got lucky. There are so many shady people now a days that it is so hard to trust anyone any more.

i'm in northern virginia. wheres this car in virginia? depending on when and where i might be able to take a look/test drive.

Back