Online Degrees

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Interesting. I would imaging that enginerring classes would need all kinds of software like blue print makers, autocad, etc etc etc

That's usually all provided.

I know when I was in business classes and we were working with SAP, Project, SPSS, Minitab, etc. Shit is way too expensive.

Interesting. I would imaging that enginerring classes would need all kinds of software like blue print makers, autocad, etc etc etc

Oh yeah there definitely is a lot of software needed, but the school has the needed software installed on school computers. There's also a program called vLab that allows us to remotely use any of the programs installed on school computers. It works out nicely. Now if only they would let me have in state tuition.. lol

Right, and my point was that an 'online' school, you wouldn't get that... because there are no school computers available. I guess remoting in could work, but i imagine its awefully slow. i hate it for work.

Right, and my point was that an 'online' school, you wouldn't get that... because there are no school computers available. I guess remoting in could work, but i imagine its awefully slow. i hate it for work.

At tech they had all the software needed for engineers on a server as ISOs and you could download them and they provide you with a serial number. That way you could have it anywhere on whatever machine you needed it.

Regardless, software issues are the least of your worries. It's all in your head man, you need to stay motivated and apply yourself but not enough so that you're overwhelmed. Take some CC classes and feel it out. You'll figure it out.

Vlab is a little slower than actually being at the computer, but I don't use it much anyways. I do most of my work on campus because it is much easier to stay focused there lol

Anyways, I agree with dveit. 90% of the battle is a mental game with yourself. I tell myself that I am not allowed to do anything fun until schoolwork is done. When all is said and done, I don't have much time to mess around but I certainly value the free time that I do have much more than I used to.

You have to want to be at school. Otherwise it'll be the most expensive waste of time you've ever been a part of.

Last edited:
You don't agree that an english degree obtained online would be just as competitive as a regular one? especially from a school that offers both traditional and online programs?

Absolutely not. It's an intellectual degree. My wife wouldn't have gotten nearly the learning environment and debate about topics online compared to what she got in person at Oxford.

I do not agree.

:thumbsup:

regular degree > online degree, no matter what the application

:thumbsup:

I'm a full time ME student and lab fees are the least of my concerns. The most I've paid for any class is $100 and that was for a 3d modeling course which came with a year of SolidWorks. Other than that, I've never bought any sort of program.

Yup, it's all rolled in- plus whatever company you go work for later will provide it all too. The only time you have to buy it yourself is if you're running your own engineering design firm and don't have a large company backing you.

Back