1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

oops i think i screwed up

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by arroshiz, Dec 22, 2004.

1. arroshiz

arroshiz Senior Member

i took my head off a few days ago to replace the head gasket, and me being dumb let my friend keep takin stuff apart for a few minutes when i went to the store, when i got back he had the cams out and i dont know how they were in there, and he doesnt remember...i dont have it marked on the timing belt or anything...how can i put them back in to make sure my timing is still right? is there a trick to it, i never done it befor, but i was gonna mark it on the belt, and he went ahead and ripped them out...plz say there is an easy way to fix this

2. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

take the head off, put piston #1 at TDC, and line up the TDC marks on the cams.

3. civiclxb16

civiclxb16 Senior Member

so i take it that you have a dohc because you said
    "when i got back he had the cams out "
    the one that the alt goes into is the intake cam and the one that doesn't have the slots for the alt is the exhaust when you get them in there make sure the arrows are pointed up and put the crank at tdc with the white mark on the crank pulley on the timing line after that you should be good.
    and learn a lesson never let friends took your shit while your not around :lol:

4. arroshiz

arroshiz Senior Member

okay, uhh, i'll try but if i cant figure it out, i'll be back on here

5. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

you don't need to pull the head just pull plug 1 and insert a rod down intop the cylinder and rotate the crank until the rod stops travelling up and begine to go down ( tdc # 1 this works and i have done this many times before)

6. formby

formby learning in progress

he already took the head off....you should buy a manual

7. Chauncey_333

Chauncey_333 Junior Member

To put the #1 piston at TDC there is a red dot on your crankshaft pulley that is on a notch on the edge of the pulley. You should line up that notch with a raised mark on the lower timing belt cover. The #1 piston (the one on the drivers side) is at TDC. Depending on your engine the cams should have marks that line up horizontally and have "up" on top or some other symbol. Depending on the mileage you may just want to replace the belt, water pump and tensioner pulley.

8. NoJokE

NoJokE Senior Member

Its a WHITE mark on the crank pulley that will indicate that cylinder #1 is at TDC.

Buy a Helms, that would be your best bet instead of asking these questions, and plus you will need the Helms to torque down the cam caps and the sequence they should be torqued down.

Good luck!

9. civiclxb16

civiclxb16 Senior Member

dam good call sorry i meant to say dizzy i am having alternator problems so that is on my mind sorry if i miss informed you man :worthy:

10. arroshiz

arroshiz Senior Member

i got a manual, but figured u guys would give better info haha..but yeah it dont look like its gonna be a problem thanks for the info

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted