oops i think i screwed up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

arroshiz

i took my head off a few days ago to replace the head gasket, and me being dumb let my friend keep takin stuff apart for a few minutes when i went to the store, when i got back he had the cams out and i dont know how they were in there, and he doesnt remember...i dont have it marked on the timing belt or anything...how can i put them back in to make sure my timing is still right? is there a trick to it, i never done it befor, but i was gonna mark it on the belt, and he went ahead and ripped them out...plz say there is an easy way to fix this

so i take it that you have a dohc because you said
"when i got back he had the cams out "
the one that the alt goes into is the intake cam and the one that doesn't have the slots for the alt is the exhaust when you get them in there make sure the arrows are pointed up and put the crank at tdc with the white mark on the crank pulley on the timing line after that you should be good.
and learn a lesson never let friends took your shit while your not around :lol:

okay, uhh, i'll try but if i cant figure it out, i'll be back on here

you don't need to pull the head just pull plug 1 and insert a rod down intop the cylinder and rotate the crank until the rod stops travelling up and begine to go down ( tdc # 1 this works and i have done this many times before)

To put the #1 piston at TDC there is a red dot on your crankshaft pulley that is on a notch on the edge of the pulley. You should line up that notch with a raised mark on the lower timing belt cover. The #1 piston (the one on the drivers side) is at TDC. Depending on your engine the cams should have marks that line up horizontally and have "up" on top or some other symbol. Depending on the mileage you may just want to replace the belt, water pump and tensioner pulley.

Originally posted by civiclxb16+Dec 22 2004, 04:58 PM-->
the one that the alt goes into is the intake cam and the one that doesn't have the slots for the alt is the exhaust when you get them in there make sure the arrows are pointed up and put the crank at tdc with the white mark on the crank pulley on the timing line after that you should be good.
[post=435994]Quoted post[/post]​

Instead of alternator, its the distributor slot you are talking about. If one of the cams has a slot on the end, its the intake cam, the other one is the exhaust.

Chauncey_333
@Dec 22 2004, 05:54 PM
To put the #1 piston at TDC there is a red dot on your crankshaft pulley that is on a notch on the edge of the pulley. You should line up that notch with a raised mark on the lower timing belt cover. The #1 piston (the one on the drivers side) is at TDC. Depending on your engine the cams should have marks that line up horizontally and have "up" on top or some other symbol. Depending on the mileage you may just want to replace the belt, water pump and tensioner pulley.
[post=436031]Quoted post[/post]​

Its a WHITE mark on the crank pulley that will indicate that cylinder #1 is at TDC.

Buy a Helms, that would be your best bet instead of asking these questions, and plus you will need the Helms to torque down the cam caps and the sequence they should be torqued down.

Good luck!

dam good call sorry i meant to say dizzy i am having alternator problems so that is on my mind sorry if i miss informed you man :worthy:

i got a manual, but figured u guys would give better info haha..but yeah it dont look like its gonna be a problem thanks for the info

Back