Opinion On ECU, and Fuel upgrades

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BStdEk9

10 psi and going.........
The current setup on my b18b is a AiResearch t3 turbine, now i never actually found out the trim size or what car it came from but its a pretty small turbom, if i were to guess id think its a .48 A/r. Supplying the turbine and motor is nothing but a 10:1 FMu, M.Link,an Inline fuel pump and thats it! i know that this is the cheapest way to boost, and also the most not recommended way to avoid knock. ALthough the car is running pretty rich at 10psi and suprisingly quick with no tuning and fuel additives. Now im still deciding on how i would want to go about tuning the car right, such as injector size, and the standalone system. I know for a fact that i would probably be satisfied with 220-240whp as ive seen stock internalled LS motors putting out 300whp with huge ass injectors running neptune or Hondata so i think the goal WHp i have is easily do able. now my questions!

1. Are there any differences between a RC 310 injector compared to a DSM 450cc besides cc such as FLow Rate etcc?

2. Would there be a certain size intank fuel pump to match the injectors, and power goal i am aiming such as a walbro 255LPH or others?

3. The turbo i am using is now running at 10psi controlled by its own internal wastegate, would i need to run an aftermarket wastegate for the goals i want?

4. IF i stuck with the stockwastegate set at 10psi, while adding for example 310cc injs, 255lph fuel pump,aftermarket fuel rail, FPR, and a chipped program would anything over 200whp be attainable?

Motor currently has 82k miles on it, bone stock b18b out of a 98 LS. I believe before it was boosted, it ran perfectly and pulled decent for an LS. I will be having the vehicle dyno tuned with whatever program/piggyback ill be going with. Opinions and input concerning wat standalone to use, is verrry welcome and appreciated so thanks in advance peeps! Oh and ill be running on 91 pump gas:D

No replies? someone must have been in the same situation as im in now. Turbo vets speak out

OKay well i have answered one answer of mine so far. by searchin and reading ive learned that for the whp goal i want, i would have to run 440cc injectors minimum! yayy, jk

You can prolly run 310's, but I cant see them handeling 10psi from a T3/T4 turbo.

Best bet:
Go with the 450's, 255 pump and tune with Crome/Uber and you'll be even more amazed at what that car can do!

I was running a similar kinda setup, different car and turbo, but same shitty FMU. I thought it was pretty quick until I installed Crome and started tuning. NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE!!!

Chipping the ECU and tuning it was fairly easy to my surprise. Crome was pretty straight forward and if you have soldering skills, chipping the ECU isnt hard either. What ECU is in your car, the code?

I ALWAYS WANTED TO TRY AND CHIP THE ECU MYSELF, BUT KINDA SCURRED I MIGHT f SUMTHIN UP. i MEAN I WORK FOR A RACE SHOP, ALWAYS WORKING ON THAT HAD TO DO WITH SOLDERING. bUT eCU? I DUNNO.....
AS OF NOW IM RUNNIN THE STOCK OBD2 P75, WOULD HAVE TO GET THE JUMPER HARNESS AND OBD1 ECU, THEN THE FUN SHOULD BEGIN.

You could just get a Emanage since its a OBD2. I've used that on a handful of different cars with great results. I have one for sale with the injector and ignition harnesses for 300 shipped if you're interested.

obd2-1 conversion
obd1 p75
crome
440/450's

you might be able to get a new actuator for the turbo... but if it were me, i'd sell it and buy something bigger and go to an external gated turbo...

Turbo&Auto said:
You could just get a Emanage since its a OBD2. I've used that on a handful of different cars with great results. I have one for sale with the injector and ignition harnesses for 300 shipped if you're interested.

Thats AN awesome deal, although i havnt seen any results from Emanage that have been up there. Also im a Newbie in tuning, and really dont want to blow my motor up!

pissedoffsol said:
obd2-1 conversion
obd1 p75
crome
440/450's

you might be able to get a new actuator for the turbo... but if it were me, i'd sell it and buy something bigger and go to an external gated turbo...

im leaning more to this way of solving it all. about a bigger turbo, as of now i really like the quick spool of a smaller turbo, and i am not "yet" in the need for more than 220whp for now!

well i jst took the car on its first long drive from San Francisco to Los ANgeles. Must i say i almost got 360miles on a full tank staying in Vacuum at 85mph. As soon as i started messing around with ppl on the road, got nowhere near 300miles. Car temp went up jst a little on incline, which makes me want to get a Koyo Rad, and maybe an oil cooler too so thats gonna be on my Expense list very soon.

Im in La now and ima make some calls around to find a shop that dyno tunes w/ Crome, ill keep you guys POsted, thanks once again

i think there is a list on pgmfi.org of crome tuners?

heat issue will prob be resolved with the tuning...

if you want to increase boost you can always go with a manual boost controller
just stops the internal wastegate from opening till you reach your desired boost levels...
your internal is probably also adjustable, so that would be your best bet to increase boost...
honda MAP will only read 11+ lbs, once you hit 12psi you're going to throw a CEL

if you want over 12 you need a 3 bar or other map sensor, there are settings in crome to account for this...

you might want to try and tune it yourself...

pissedoffsol said:
stay away from the e-manage. it's not worth it

yah definitely dint want to mess with Emanage, hated the fact that $300 would get u jst a simple basemap, especially greddy having no basemap for an LS motor. found a place here in LA called camp 1320, they do dynotuning, and all. jst waiting to see if i caould find any other local places where i could find an obd1 p75 and chip it for me. if i font find any ima have to hit up phearable.net or xenocron. still looookin

be careful with camp1320.... i've heard some bad stuff about Tom's ways in the past, but i don't have any 1st hand expereince with them. Just a heads up. They may be fine, i don't know. both of the sources you posted are good for chipping :) if you can solder, you can do it yourself too.

The emanage is good, but I would prefer a chipped ECU after working with it.

You dont need a basemap with it, it tunes overtop of the factory ECU.

yes i do know how to solder, jst kind of scurred i might F sumthing up and yah. But i know i can do it, so now i need to locate an obd1 p75, a jumper and the pieces to chip it. i mean i went to Wyotech and im still iffy bout touching my own car so i think its bout tym i put my shit to wrk haha. ima look up some prices and compare, any suggestions on where to get the chiiping stuff and DSM 450's? also still trying to get rid of my APex SafcII, made a mistake by buying that damn thing!

Also forgot to mention, since i got here in LA damn is it hott! aaaahhh! drove my car around and doesnt pull as hard as it was in Norcal, but i know why, jst sucks. Now im definitely looking into gettin an Oilcooler to help out!

chipping stuff = xenocron.com
i don't think you need a P75...
ask him for a P28 with P75 maps
and you can try and hack in the peak and hold, but if i were you I would spend the 219 and get some 440cc plug and play injectors from xenocron...

165 for a socketed ECU from xenocron, and chris is a good guy, he'll take the time to answer all your questions

Alright jst got the socketed ecu from xenocron, and also got the 440cc injectors. Will plug the injectors in and slowwwwwwwly do the ecu, hehe wish me luck

don't run those injectors unless you got basemap chips or something from xenocron

those injectors will run full bore and wash down your cylinders...

I did request for a basemap chip, i am currently runin on it and it feels wayy better already compared to an FMU. kinda laggy at the bottom, but if i let rpms climb a lil bit tha bastrd jst loses traction even at 3rd! dayum, i cant wait till friday. Im scheduled for a 3 hour dyno session at camp 1320 with an old friend owner of this car
GoldTeg2.jpg

so i think ill be able to reach my goals with no problems, wish me luck

be easy on it till you're tuned. boosting on a base map, no matter how good, is never a good idea. every car is different.

Back